Greneway just miss out on FA Wix Cup
St Columbas U11 3
Greneway U11 1
GRENEWAY Year 6 football team lost out in the final of the Hertfordshire Schools’ FA Wix U11 Cup last week.
It is one of the oldest school competitions in sport which dates back 82 years to 1929 and their opponents were St Columbas College from St Albans. The match took place at Giles School in Stevenage.
St Columbus took the lead midway through the first half after a deflected effort fell kindly to the striker to prod the ball past Greneway goalkeeper Nathan Harness from close range.
You may also want to watch:
But Greneway responded well to the setback and they were only behind for a short period as Callum Toovey was on hand to smash home a rebound from his initial goal-bound header following a Max Logan corner.
The second half followed a similar pattern to the first, with the majority of the match being played out in the middle of the pitch but Columbas were able to reinstate their advantage with a coolly taken finish.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
Despite a positive response from the Royston side, it was again St Columbas who were able to convert their chance to make it 3-1 and seal the victory.
Greneway coach, Rob Dowler, was proud of his achievement of reaching the final despite just missing out on winning the trophy.
He said: “Greneway has been part of history playing in the final of this historic competition, but unfortunately we just fell short this time. Injuries at crucial times (before and during the game) and strong physical performances from their opponents proved just too much. However, they have much to be proud of and will learn form this experience.”
Greneway squad: Harness (C), Hall, Fisher, Toovey, Penn, Baulk, Bailey, Hallewell, Blows, Logan, Fox, Walsh, Wright, Shannon, Copeland, Daniels.