Greneway into semi-finals
GRENEWAY School s Year Six football team have made it through to the semi-finals of the prestigious Hertfordshire Wix Trophy. They made it through to the quarter-final stage of the tournament at Parmiters School, Watford on Monday after competing against
GRENEWAY School's Year Six football team have made it through to the semi-finals of the prestigious Hertfordshire Wix Trophy.
They made it through to the quarter-final stage of the tournament at Parmiters School, Watford on Monday after competing against 15 of the best teams in Hertfordshire.
And after winning their group, they will now go on to play in the finals night (semis and final) at Clarence Park - the home of St. Albans City FC.
Group One pitted Greneway against reigning champions Radlett Prep School, Brookmans Park and Whitehill.
You may also want to watch:
Greneway faced Radlett in the first match and, after a slow start, Greneway dominated the match as Ben Seabrook and Jack Logan controlled the back line and Connor Sandford marshalled the midfield.
Michael Baulk grabbed the opener with a clinical finish before Radlett equalised in dubious circumstances straight from the restart.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 4 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 5 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 6 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 7 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
This spurred Greneway on and Barnes picked out Baulk who bravely headed home the winner.
In the second match, Greneway entertained Brookmans Park as they looked to start as they had finished in their previous match.
James Edwards and Sandford combined well to create the opening goal for Baulk before he scored again soon after.
Sandford then wrapped up the scoring just before the end with a brilliant solo goal.
In the final game, Whitehill knew a win would give them a chance of making the semi-final instead of Greneway.
However, Greneway were just too strong and it was Baulk once again who finished expertly after a good pass from Tom Harrington to grab the lead.
Sandford then spotted the 'keeper off his line to score from just inside the half before Logan and Morgan combined to set up Baulk who scored from long range to seal Greneway's semi spot.
Head of PE Terry Graves praised his team's performance, and says they are all looking forward to more success in the final round of the tournament on Wednesday, April 28, when they will be representing North Hertfordshire schools.