Greneway girls through to Eastern final
Greneway School 72 Stratton school 36
GRENEWAY School’s U14 girls’ basketball team made it through to the Easter Regional Final after a 72-36 victory over Stratton School recently.
After winning their respective county titles, the champions of Bedfordshire travelled to the home court of the Hertfordshire champions for a Regional Play-Off.
It was the hosts who got off to the better start as they raced to a 16-0 lead with some excellent team defence springing a driving fast break.
Stratton struggled to get into any rhythm but eventually they found Wright and she scored eight points as the visitors closed the gap to end the first period 24-10.
The second period followed the same pattern as Greneway were able to use their full and deep bench and Stratton continued to work hard but could not find any easy baskets. The hosts were now completely in control and reached the interval with a commanding 44-13 lead.
After the break Greneway looked to move the ball quicker and some of the passing was of a high quality creating scoring opportunities, which were finished in style.
- 1 Owner elated as cat returns after going missing for 11 years
- 2 Street Food Heroes return to Royston
- 3 Melbourn Bowls Club celebrates centenary
- 4 Life-saving defibrillator donated to Melbourn Bowls Club
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 A-level results 2022: What should my next steps be?
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Which Thameslink trains are running during the RMT strike?
- 9 World Photography Day: Herts & Middlesex Wildlife Trust launches third Wild Snaps competition
- 10 Last-ball victory keeps Reed on the rise up the Championship
The final period saw a mini-comeback by Stratton as they rallied and deservedly won the quarter 17-11. However, it was too little, too late as Greneway reached the next round of the nationals in emphatic style.
Assistant head teacher, Terry Graves, said: “This team excelled to win the county crown and they have raised the bar again in terms of expectations with this very professional team performance. Every player made an important contribution again and there were three debutants today who looked at home at this level.”