Greneway athletes crowned 2010 Youth Team of the Year
GRENEWAY’S Year 7 and 8 athletics team were crowned 2010 Youth Team of the Year at the Comet Sports Awards on Monday night.
They beat off stiff competition from Wymondley Park Firesharks Football Club and Hitchin Rugby Club U17s after an unprecedented year of success across a whole host of track & field events in the North Herts Schools’ District League and championships.
The athletes were exceptional in their devotion, commitment and talent towards the team cause. The team spirit was epitomised with other schools commenting on not only the athletic ability, but also the fantastic teamwork.
The team constantly strive to adhere to the core Olympic and Paralympic values: showing excellence, equality, determination, respect for each other, their opponents and the officials, developing strong friendships, showing courage and inspiring each other to achieve.
These achievements are highly commendable in any team but are made even more remarkable considering they are a small school (only 415 pupils in total, 203 in Year 7 and 8) competing against many strong schools of twice or three times their size.
You may also want to watch:
Awards photo Back (L-R): Rob Dowler, Cemal Ramadan, Gus Rees, Justin Leavers, Leah Parcell, Judith Balsom, Terry Graves.
Front(L-R): Sophie Shannon, Matt Moore
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
- 10 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob