Greneway are Wix wonders
GRENEWAY School s young footballers were crowned county champions when the under-11 squad claimed the Wix Trophy. Representing North Hertfordshire as league champions, Greneway saw off Mount Pleasant Lane of St Albans in the semi-final at the St Albans C
GRENEWAY School's young footballers were crowned county champions when the under-11 squad claimed the Wix Trophy.
Representing North Hertfordshire as league champions, Greneway saw off Mount Pleasant Lane of St Albans in the semi-final at the St Albans City FC ground with Reece King netting a brilliant extra-time double.
With only 10 minutes' rest, the Royston school then met Maple, also from St Albans, in the final.
And it was Maple who started the fresher and brighter, and following a momentary lapse in concentration, Greneway conceded their first goal of the competition.
You may also want to watch:
But they responded well and gradually fought their way back. And in finding their rhythm, the chances were soon being created and following one great move captain Cemal Ramadan clipped the ball over the advancing Maple keeper.
More chances followed, with Justin Leavers and Jamie Stimson causing problems, while the lively King also kept the Maple defence on their toes. However, despite opportunities falling for both teams the score remained 1-1 at the end of full time.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
In extra time Greneway had to dig deep and find extra reserves of energy.
Maple showed their class by working one good chance, but Ben Reddan was on hand with a super save.
In response, Greneway moved the ball out from the back, and following some clever play from the midfield, King almost put them in front.
As the teams tired, there was more space, and the impressive Ramadan began to control the game, and making no mistake with a confident strike to put his side in front.
In pursuit of an equaliser Maple left themselves exposed at the back and when Ramadan's pin-point pass picked out King, the striker kept his cool with the deftest of finishes to take the trophy back to Royston.
Herts Schools FA President Dave Willacy, who presented the Wix Trophy said: "Every year the standard of football goes up and both teams were wonderful adverts for the game."
Head of PE at Greneway Terry Graves said: "At this moment they are the best in Hertfordshire and the first team in our school's history to win the Wix Trophy - which is fantastic!"
Greneway squad: Huttlestone, Harness, Ramadan, Thake, Campbell, Leavers, Moore, Freeman, Stimson, Reddan, King, Jonas.