Greneway are Wix wonders
GRENEWAY School s young footballers were crowned county champions when the under-11 squad claimed the Wix Trophy. Representing North Hertfordshire as league champions, Greneway saw off Mount Pleasant Lane of St Albans in the semi-final at the St Albans C
GRENEWAY School's young footballers were crowned county champions when the under-11 squad claimed the Wix Trophy.
Representing North Hertfordshire as league champions, Greneway saw off Mount Pleasant Lane of St Albans in the semi-final at the St Albans City FC ground with Reece King netting a brilliant extra-time double.
With only 10 minutes' rest, the Royston school then met Maple, also from St Albans, in the final.
And it was Maple who started the fresher and brighter, and following a momentary lapse in concentration, Greneway conceded their first goal of the competition.
But they responded well and gradually fought their way back. And in finding their rhythm, the chances were soon being created and following one great move captain Cemal Ramadan clipped the ball over the advancing Maple keeper.
More chances followed, with Justin Leavers and Jamie Stimson causing problems, while the lively King also kept the Maple defence on their toes. However, despite opportunities falling for both teams the score remained 1-1 at the end of full time.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 5 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 6 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 9 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 10 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
In extra time Greneway had to dig deep and find extra reserves of energy.
Maple showed their class by working one good chance, but Ben Reddan was on hand with a super save.
In response, Greneway moved the ball out from the back, and following some clever play from the midfield, King almost put them in front.
As the teams tired, there was more space, and the impressive Ramadan began to control the game, and making no mistake with a confident strike to put his side in front.
In pursuit of an equaliser Maple left themselves exposed at the back and when Ramadan's pin-point pass picked out King, the striker kept his cool with the deftest of finishes to take the trophy back to Royston.
Herts Schools FA President Dave Willacy, who presented the Wix Trophy said: "Every year the standard of football goes up and both teams were wonderful adverts for the game."
Head of PE at Greneway Terry Graves said: "At this moment they are the best in Hertfordshire and the first team in our school's history to win the Wix Trophy - which is fantastic!"
Greneway squad: Huttlestone, Harness, Ramadan, Thake, Campbell, Leavers, Moore, Freeman, Stimson, Reddan, King, Jonas.