Greneway and Meridian visit Lee Valley
Royston schools benefit from the facilities at the world-class training venue
MORE than 100 talented athletes from Greneway and Meridian schools were given the chance to use the world-class athletics facilities at the Lee Valley Athletics Centre in North London recently.
It is an award-winning, state-of-the-art training centre serving London and the south of England and home to three of the four British track and field medallists at the Beijing Olympics. Also it is one of the key London 2012 training venues for Olympic and Paralympic athletes next summer.
The schools travelled to further extend and enrich the athletic experiences of their young athletes by giving them the opportunity to use the same venue as some of the top athletes in the world, including the use of video analysis to enhance their learning.
“We wanted to inspire our talented athletes to achieve their personal bests through living the Olympic and Paralympic values and where better than here, where you feel inspired to perform citius, altius, fortius,” said Greneway’s assistant head teacher Terry Graves.
You may also want to watch:
Every athlete had two, specific event training sessions, where they followed individually tailored programmes expertly planned and coached by the PE teachers from both schools.
Russell Franklin, Meridian’s head of PE, reinforced the feelings of all the teachers when he said: “A world-class venue which has bought the best out in our talented athletes.”
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 6 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 9 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 10 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College