Great Chishill 3-1 Whittlesford Reserves
CHISHILL finished their league campaign in impressive fashion with a convincing win against second placed Whittlesford. It was the visitors who were on top for the first 20 minutes, and they were unlucky not to go ahead when they hit the post with a pow
CHISHILL finished their league campaign in impressive fashion with a convincing win against second placed Whittlesford.
It was the visitors who were on top for the first 20 minutes, and they were unlucky not to go ahead when they hit the post with a powerful header.
But when Gary Radford tucked away a rebound to put his side in front, Chishill's confidence grew and they gradually took control of the game and snubbed out Whittlesford's attacks efficiently.
The game was secured 10 minutes after the break. Lee Smith finished off a fine solo run with a low drive into the bottom corner from 20 yards, before Gary Radford scored his second, beating the 'keeper to the ball and lobbing into an empty net.
The visitors could offer little in response, thanks to a fine defensive display by Chishill, with reserve defender Dan Hicks enjoying a good game in central defence with James Bennett. Whittlesford grabbed a consolation in the last five minutes but it was too little too late.
Chishill's victory guarantees them their first top-half finish in Division 2A since their promotion in 2007.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 5 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 6 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 7 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
- 10 Careless driver was 'using phone' when she killed Cambridge cyclist
Knight; R Drury, Bennett, Hicks, Bramwell; Jackson, E Drury, Smith, J Drury, Reynolds; Radford
Subs: T Hodge, J Hodge, Miller