Grants boost for father and daughter
TALENTED athletes and coaches have been awarded grants totalling £5,000 by North Herts District Council. Those awarded include Royston father and daughter, Michael and Louise Shortland, as well as county level cricket and badminton players and a regional
TALENTED athletes and coaches have been awarded grants totalling £5,000 by North Herts District Council.
Those awarded include Royston father and daughter, Michael and Louise Shortland, as well as county level cricket and badminton players and a regional swimmer.
The grants are administered twice a year through the Sport North Herts Community Sports Network.
Michael will use his funds to undertake his level three athletics coaching badge, while Louise, who is a national standard pole vaulter, will use hers to help further her promising career.
Chairman of Sport North Herts Ken Charles said: "We admire the enormous commitment and effort that our most able young performers have undertaken.
"The Sport North Herts grant is intended to encourage and respect their achievements."
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 4 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
- 5 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 6 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 7 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 8 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 9 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 10 Cambridge Country Show returns with something for all the family
Cllr Tricia Gibbs, NHDC Portfolio Holder and responsible for grants added: "The Council is very pleased to be supporting our talented athletes and coaches and we look forward to toasting an Olympic champion in future years."
The next round of sports grants opens in November.
More information can be obtained from the Children's Services Team at NHDC on 01462 474000.