Good weekend for youth contingent
Royston RFC Youth round-up
Youth rugby round-up
Royston U14s 45
Finchley B 7
ROYSTON U14s were victorious in their first league match of the year on Sunday. Eddie Twyman earned his Back of the Match award with two tries before half time. The industrious Max Ayliffe scored a deserved try and Forward of the Match George Howard and James Shannon grabbed a try apiece. Ben Ireland added three conversions in very tricky conditions. Royston led 33 -0 at half-time but had to play against the wind in the second half.
Finchley scored a converted try to reduce the lead. Reeder played excellently against a much larger prop. Steve Graham, Tyler Boyne and James Meacham put in solid displays. Howard and Shannon scored their second tries, both converted by Ireland to confirm a convincing win. James Kirby made a successful return to the club after having almost two years off.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
Royston U13s 55
Old Verulamians 7
Royston U13s progressed to the next round of the cup with a comprehensive win over OVs. Edward Shannon scored the opening try, with Lyle Clark converting, before Will Tyrell extended the lead – Clark again converted. A try from Jake Storey, and three more from Shannon put Royston firmly in control. OVs score dtheir only try just after half time, but further scores from Tyrell, following good work from man of the Match Zac Conley, and Shannon sealed an excellent win. They host Letchworth this Sunday.
Royston U11s enjoyed a good morning against Shelford, by winning all three matches. Tries from Rees, Raymen and Roberts sealed a 21-14 win in match one, before tries from Raymen (two), Donnellan, Cahill (two), Rees (two) and Jones resulted in a 52-0 win in match two.
Tries from Howarth, Denchfield Donnellan and Tyrell (hat-trick) meant they won the third match 35-5.
Royston U8s also played Shelford – drawing two and losing two of their four matches. Sean Stewart was named Player of the Week for his efforts, while Dylan Hudd, Ollie Brunt and Rowan Westcott also impressed.
Royston U7s were also away at Shelford, fielding two teams that drew two and lost one out of their three matches. Billy T, Nathaniel DePortrillo, Sean Tyrell, Owen Floyd, Jack Peacock and William Lipscombe all stood out for the visitors.