Girls encouraged to start playing football
Initiative seeks to get more young girls playing football in Royston
GIRLS in Royston are being encouraged to take up football as part of the FA 3 Lions FC programme.
The aim of the programme, which was launched last year and was successful in founding two new girls’ football teams, is to increase the number of girls regularly participating in football and to strengthen the girls’ section of Royston Town Football Club. It is being funded by both the Hertfordshire FA and Royston Town Football Club.
The 2011 programme began in March with a series of taster sessions being delivered to girls in Years 3 and 4 across nearly all of Royston’s first schools.
These sessions were an introduction to football, and included skills-based activities aimed at providing fun and enjoyment within a structured environment.
You may also want to watch:
Following on from the remainder of the taster sessions, Royston Town FC will hold a six-week coaching programme at Meridian School starting on Saturday, May 7, between 9am-10am. It is completely free of charge, and an opportunity for enthusiastic young girls to improve their football ability.
Throughout the programme, Royston Town will select a team to represent the district in this year’s Herts Youth Games which take place on Saturday, June 18.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 7 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
Any parents wanting more information on this should contact Meridian School’s sports development officer, Jenny Probert, on 01763 255462 or firstname.lastname@example.org.