Gathercole double helps Ladies to victory
Royston Ladies 3 Shefford & Sandy II 2 THE Ladies game against Shefford and Sandy started off evenly with both teams pushing on and looking to open the scoring. It was Royston s Sophie Gathercole who got the opener when she picked up an excellent cross fr
Royston Ladies 3 Shefford & Sandy II 2
THE Ladies game against Shefford and Sandy started off evenly with both teams pushing on and looking to open the scoring.
It was Royston's Sophie Gathercole who got the opener when she picked up an excellent cross from Sarah Buckerfield and flicked it passed the 'keeper.
Royston then conceded a penalty flick which 'keeper Mel Harding was unlucky not to save after getting a hand to it, but Royston came straight back and Buckerfield put Royston in front with a beautiful strike from the edge of the D.
You may also want to watch:
Royston began the second half strongly and increased their lead when Wendy Holt slipped the ball through to Gathercole who finished off with a good strike.
Royston continued to dominate and were unlucky to have a controversial second penalty flick given against them which Shefford and Sandy converted to make the final 3-2 to Royston.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
Royston Ladies II 2 Bedford III 7
A STRONG start and goals from Louise Arnold and Sarah Farmer could not prevent Royston losing to a strong Bedford side at the weekend.
Royston III 1 Saffron Walden IV 6
THE scoreline did not reflect how well the Ladies played on Saturday.
Laura Price played a strong game in defence and along with Charlotte Joyce and Aggie they prevented more goals going in.
Royston were unlucky not to convert several efforts from short corners with Harriet Johnson, Emma Whitaker and Lisa Thompson all having chances on goal.
In the second half Johnson got one for Royston, but it was only a consolation.