Gardiner clears route to victory
MORE than 400 athletes braved the freezing cold to run the Buntingford Year End 10 Mile race. A total of 430 runners completed the course around the streets of Buntingford and icy lanes of Aspenden and Westmill. Andrew Gardiner of Windsor, Slough and Eto
MORE than 400 athletes braved the freezing cold to run the Buntingford Year End 10 Mile race.
A total of 430 runners completed the course around the streets of Buntingford and icy lanes of Aspenden and Westmill.
Andrew Gardiner of Windsor, Slough and Eton AC was first over the line in 53:11.
Runners-up were Neil Miller, of Bedford and County AC, in 54:19 and Sam Pullan of St Albans Striders, in 54:25. First woman home was Karen Hazlitt, in 61:23.
You may also want to watch:
Royston Runners race director Richard Dajda said that he was relieved that the event had gone well.
"With heavy snow forecast for the night before, I was worried that we might have to cancel the race," he said.
- 1 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 6 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 7 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 8 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 9 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 10 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
The runners felt the same, as I must have had a hundred calls asking if the race was still on.
"It began to snow at the start and I feared the worst, but it cleared up and the runners got around safely."
0:53:11 Andrew Gardiner, Windsor, Slough and Eton AC; 0:54:19 Neil Miller, Bedford and County AC; 0:54:25 Sam Pullan, St Albans Striders.
Vet 40 Men
0:57:34 Colin Braybrook, St Albans Striders; 0:59:44 Dave Brock Orion Harriers, 0:59:51 David Randall, Cheltenham and County Harriers.
Vet 50 Men
1:03:45 Christopher Lamont, Stopsley Striders; 1:07:09 Stephen Hockett, Southend AC; 1:07:33 Chris Priestley.
Vet 60 Men
1:08:40 Richard Bloom, Herts Phoenix.
St Albans Striders
0:54:25 Sam Pullan, 0:57:34 Colin Braybrook, 1:04:15 Richard Harry, 1:06:25 Gavin Hall.
1:01:23 Karen Hazlitt, Winchester & District AC; 1:02:51 Sharon Grannon, Ware Joggers; 1:03:34 Abigail Bayley, Weymouth and St Paul's Harriers.
Vet 35 Women
1:06:20 Clare Read, Barnet and District. 1:06:23 Elizabeth McKie, St Albans Striders; 1:06:20 Mandy Avery, Broxbourne.
Vet 45 Women
1:08:07 Sue Spong, Havering 90 Joggers; 1:14:45 Lesley Dutton, FVS Tri; 1:17:05 Mandy Brown, 26.2 Road Runners Club.
Vet 55 Women
1:17:43 Elizabeth Barber, St Albans Striders.
Barnet and District
1:05:07 Kathy Woods, 1:06:20 Clare Read, 1:10:10 Karen Murphy.