Game, set and match for Royston
ROYSTON Tennis Club played more rounds in the Herts and Cambs Winter Leagues this month with their youngsters winning but their men s team on the receiving end of a heavy defeat. The Junior (under-16) team of Lewis Harley Andrew Betts and Isaac Pickett, p
ROYSTON Tennis Club played more rounds in the Herts and Cambs Winter Leagues this month with their youngsters winning but their men's team on the receiving end of a heavy defeat.
The Junior (under-16) team of Lewis Harley Andrew Betts and Isaac Pickett, pictured right, beat Sawbridgeworth 2-1 in their last match of the season to finish the campaign off in style.
The Ladies team of Karin Lambert, Sue Addison, Emma Windred, Pru Burton and Christine Knight beat Exning's first team 6-2 at home in their first match, but in their last match, away to Ely, they were defeated 6-2.
The Men's Firsts of Andy Holmes, Matt Fellingham, Garry Tobiss and Mike Moss lost 701 away to Buckden firsts, but the team still has an opportunity to end the season on a high with two postponed fixtures to rearrange before the end of the season.
The Men's Seconds of Doug Higgins, John Holmes, John Goodbody, Alan Knight, Peter Goodbody, Garry Tobiss and Ralph Betts finished their season with a 5-3 win away to Risbygate firsts and a 4-4 draw at home to Histon seconds.
The Mixed seconds of Davin Addison, Karin Lambert, Mike Fellingham and Kathy Betts were in good form in their final game of the season, winning their last fixture against Burwell's first team 5 - 3.
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 8 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
Like the men's first team, the Mixed Firsts still have two postponed matches to play in the New Year.
For more information about the club, its coaching courses and membership details visit www.royston-tennis.co.uk