Freeman smashes 11-year-old 100m record
Greneway School athletics round-up
GRENEWAY’S talented Year 7 and 8 athletes produced some excellent individual and team performances at the recent North Herts Schools League meet in Stevenage.
The pick of the night was a new Year 8 Girls’ 100m record of 12.75sec for Lauren Freeman, the last one had stood since 2001. Many other athletes established new and improved PBs and some moved onto, and/or higher up, the Schools’ ‘All-Time List’.
The Year 7 team achieved an impressive 13 first-placed finishes while the Year 8s an even better 14. “The athletes represented Greneway with pride and showed the quality that Royston has in abundance. As for Lauren’s school record, superlatives escape even me,” said Greneway assistant headteacher, Terry Graves.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, two multi-talented athletes from Greneway have started their journey with selection for the North Herts U13 Duathlon team. Romario Thomas and Matt Houghton will be combining their athletic and swimming talents in a 250m swim followed immediately by a 1500m running race. They will be representing the district in the Herts Youth Games on Sunday, July 8 at Hertfordshire University’s Sports Village in Hatfield.
The date has added significance because the Olympic Torch will be ‘resting’ there for the whole day.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
- 10 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
Mr Graves added: “What a fantastic opportunity for these talented athletes. Both have excelled at district and county levels in both sports; and Greneway and Royston Swimming Club have much to be proud of as Romario and Matt are great ambassadors for both and for Royston.”