Frances keeps his cool to seal late victory for Melbourn
Hardwick Reserves 2 Melbourn 3 AN Ian Frances double gave Melbourn all three points on Saturday in a hard-fought match. The game started well for the visitors, with Russell Cooper hitting the post, and Frances and Ben Wright both bringing good saves from
Hardwick Reserves 2 Melbourn 3
AN Ian Frances double gave Melbourn all three points on Saturday in a hard-fought match.
The game started well for the visitors, with Russell Cooper hitting the post, and Frances and Ben Wright both bringing good saves from the Hardwick keeper.
However, despite the run of play being in Melbourn's favour, Hardwick opened the scoring following a defensive mistake.
You may also want to watch:
But that was quickly cancelled out, when captain Michael Wagstaff's hard work created space for Wright to smash home an equaliser.
Once again, the visitors took the game to the hosts with Andrew Morris and Frances keeping the Hardwick backline busy.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 5 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
At the other end, player manager Mick Walker had to be on guard with one brilliant save just before half time.
And it was much of the same after the interval, as Wagstaff and James Hill continued to battle in the midfield.
However, their efforts came undone on the hour mark, when Hardwick took the lead once more following another defensive mix up.
Nevertheless, Melbourn were back in the game when Frances popped up inside the hosts' box and after a brilliant piece of control fired in a low drive for his side's second equaliser.
At 2-2 the game became more frantic.
But the visitors pushed hard, and when a corner fell to Collen on the edge of the box his chipped pass found Frances who calmly slipped the ball under the advancing Hardwick keeper to claim a late Melbourn win.