Frances keeps his cool to seal late victory for Melbourn
Hardwick Reserves 2 Melbourn 3 AN Ian Frances double gave Melbourn all three points on Saturday in a hard-fought match. The game started well for the visitors, with Russell Cooper hitting the post, and Frances and Ben Wright both bringing good saves from
Hardwick Reserves 2 Melbourn 3
AN Ian Frances double gave Melbourn all three points on Saturday in a hard-fought match.
The game started well for the visitors, with Russell Cooper hitting the post, and Frances and Ben Wright both bringing good saves from the Hardwick keeper.
However, despite the run of play being in Melbourn's favour, Hardwick opened the scoring following a defensive mistake.
You may also want to watch:
But that was quickly cancelled out, when captain Michael Wagstaff's hard work created space for Wright to smash home an equaliser.
Once again, the visitors took the game to the hosts with Andrew Morris and Frances keeping the Hardwick backline busy.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 5 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 9 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 10 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
At the other end, player manager Mick Walker had to be on guard with one brilliant save just before half time.
And it was much of the same after the interval, as Wagstaff and James Hill continued to battle in the midfield.
However, their efforts came undone on the hour mark, when Hardwick took the lead once more following another defensive mix up.
Nevertheless, Melbourn were back in the game when Frances popped up inside the hosts' box and after a brilliant piece of control fired in a low drive for his side's second equaliser.
At 2-2 the game became more frantic.
But the visitors pushed hard, and when a corner fell to Collen on the edge of the box his chipped pass found Frances who calmly slipped the ball under the advancing Hardwick keeper to claim a late Melbourn win.