Frances keeps his cool to seal late victory for Melbourn
Hardwick Reserves 2 Melbourn 3 AN Ian Frances double gave Melbourn all three points on Saturday in a hard-fought match. The game started well for the visitors, with Russell Cooper hitting the post, and Frances and Ben Wright both bringing good saves from
Hardwick Reserves 2 Melbourn 3
AN Ian Frances double gave Melbourn all three points on Saturday in a hard-fought match.
The game started well for the visitors, with Russell Cooper hitting the post, and Frances and Ben Wright both bringing good saves from the Hardwick keeper.
However, despite the run of play being in Melbourn's favour, Hardwick opened the scoring following a defensive mistake.
But that was quickly cancelled out, when captain Michael Wagstaff's hard work created space for Wright to smash home an equaliser.
Once again, the visitors took the game to the hosts with Andrew Morris and Frances keeping the Hardwick backline busy.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 6 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 7 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 8 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 9 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 10 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
At the other end, player manager Mick Walker had to be on guard with one brilliant save just before half time.
And it was much of the same after the interval, as Wagstaff and James Hill continued to battle in the midfield.
However, their efforts came undone on the hour mark, when Hardwick took the lead once more following another defensive mix up.
Nevertheless, Melbourn were back in the game when Frances popped up inside the hosts' box and after a brilliant piece of control fired in a low drive for his side's second equaliser.
At 2-2 the game became more frantic.
But the visitors pushed hard, and when a corner fell to Collen on the edge of the box his chipped pass found Frances who calmly slipped the ball under the advancing Hardwick keeper to claim a late Melbourn win.