Foxton steal victory with one ball to spare
March CC 170 (47.5 overs) Foxton CC 200-9 (48 overs) Foxton won by 30 runs
FOXTON recorded their first victory of the season with just one ball to spare against a strong side at March on Saturday.
Losing the toss and being asked to bat, Foxton quickly lost both openers with just 19 on the board. The damage was repaired by skipper Lawrence Farnum with 43 and a superb attacking knock of 61 by Adam Webster. They were ably supported by the last three batsmen Mark Ferrari (18), Cameron Selkirk (16*) and Sid Sabey (11*) as Foxton reached 200-9 from their 48 overs.
The wickets were shared between the home bowlers with Matt Wilcox, skipper Chris Ringham and Tyler Phillips taking a pair each.
March appeared to be cruising at 70-1 from 19 overs with openers Robert Woolley (20) and Wilcox looking totally in command. The introduction of debutant leg-spinner Tom Stone bowling in tandem with the evergreen Antonnel Atwell began to shift the balance and wickets began to fall.
You may also want to watch:
The game was then very open with the home side on 111-5, but a stand of 48 between S Hinson (14) and the ever-present Wilcox pushed the advantage towards the hosts.
A superb throw and subsequent run-out from Atwell caused the downfall of Hinson and two wickets into his 14th over from Stone tipped the balance towards the visitors. The dangerous looking Wilcox still remained however and when his skied shot to the deep mid-off boundary was spilled Foxton began to think they had lost their chance.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 5 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 6 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
The persistent Stone brought the game towards the visitors when he eventually trapped Wilcox caught by Selkirk from a top edge for a magnificent 96 and Foxton began to close in.
The final drama unfolded when Atwell took the last wicket with only one ball remaining and his figures of 12.5-1-44-4 backed up by the impressive Stone 16-0-52-4 ensured their victory and 25 points.
On Sunday Foxton were at home to Abington in the area quarter final of the Persimmon Village Cup.
Jeffery Douglas was in prime form with the bat and plundered the visitors attack for a century which included 11 4s and six towering 6s, with skipper Lawrence Farnum adding 64 as Foxton posted 296-6 from 40 overs.
The visitors were always under pressure to reach this total and three wickets each for Tim Lee and Antonnel Atwell saw them fall well short eventually totalling 195 all out from 36 overs.
In the next round Foxton will be away to Kimbolton or Bradfield on Sunday, May 29.