Foxton steal a March on rivals

Tucker Gardner Premier Div 1

Foxton 202-7 (48 overs)

March 91 (43)

Foxton won by 111 runs

FOXTON maintained their top of the table position by comprehensively beating March on Saturday and claimed another maximum 25 points.

The visitors won the toss and decided to insert their hosts on a dampish wicket with a surprisingly quick outfield. Foxton were unsurprisingly soon in trouble in the early exchanges with the March skipper Chris Ringham and Tyler Phillips extracting the maximum assistance from the surface, and after six overs openers Gareth Roots and James Clark along with number four Rory O’Brooks were back in the pavilion with only 22 on the board.

Young Chris Pepper then joined Lawrence Farnham and at once began to repair the damage with a fourth wicket stand of 64. The latter was looking well set for a big score when he was adjudged lbw to spinner James Harradine, the third victim of the four wickets to have fallen given out in this fashion.

Most Read

Farnham was playing well and his attractive 46 contained six fours and two sixes. Pepper then took over the main bulk of the scoring while Tyler Deas played the anchor role, and they further improved Foxton’s position with a stand of 43. Deas (15) then became the fourth player trapped as the home side innings was again in the balance at 128-6 after 33 overs.

Pepper had in this time looked totally untroubled on 40* and with Tom Stone now joining him, and at once going for his shots, they accelerated the scoring rate with an exciting stand of 61. Stone was then run out going for a quick single for a hard hitting 44 and at the conclusion of their allotted 48 overs Pepper, who was the home side’s backbone, remained 64* and Foxton were more than satisfied with 202-7.

Following tea Andrew Kealy struck in his second over having opener Carl Chapman caught behind by O’Brooks, but a stubborn second wicket stand of 29 between Tom Howgego and Meyer began to bring March into the game. The introduction of Pepper after 12 overs saw him dismiss these two in his first three overs for 16 apiece and left the visitors on 47-3 after 16 overs.

Matthew Vail launched a counter attack with 22 but with his dismissal caught by Deas off the spin of Stone, March began playing for the draw in the 26th over with their total showing 70-4. The latter then began to shine using the cross wind and varying his flight and quickly claimed another two scalps in his next nine balls.

Foxton remained patient for several overs as March continued their stubborn defence, but the door began to open with Kealy’s second spell from the opposite end when bowling Steve Hinson. Stone weighed in with strikes in his ninth and 10th overs to post the impressive return of 10-5-11-5.

It was left to Kealy to wrap up proceedings as he yorked visiting ‘keeper John Gilson with the last ball of the 43rd over and notched the host’s fifth win in the last six matches. Kealy finished with 3-32 and Pepper 2-12.

The second XI went down by 71 runs at Audley End.

On Sunday Foxton beat their visitors Reach by 174 runs in the Yorkshire Tea Village Cup and next Sunday play in the regional final away to either Fordham or Great Shelford. Highlights of this match was 101 not out from captain Gareth Roots backed up by 75 from James Clarke.

Next Saturday the first XI entertain St. Ives in the league whilst the seconds are without a fixture.