Gamlingay 0 Foxton 3 AN excellent Foxton performance saw them return from Gamlingay with a 3-0 victory, on Saturday. New signing Lee Gentle almost had a dream start as he had a header saved off the line in the third minute, but Foxton s early superiority
Gamlingay 0 Foxton 3
AN excellent Foxton performance saw them return from Gamlingay with a 3-0 victory, on Saturday.
New signing Lee Gentle almost had a dream start as he had a header saved off the line in the third minute, but Foxton's early superiority soon told as they took the lead in the 15 minute.
A swift move down the left side culminated in a cross from Sean Audley which was met by Iain Tokley to head in at the far post.
You may also want to watch:
Foxton doubled their advantage 16 minutes later as Adam Fields got on the end of a pinpoint 40 yard ball from Jamie Clark, before cutting inside the defender and beating the Gamlingay keeper at the near post.
Foxton's attacking play proved too much for the home defence and only some bad luck and good goal keeping prevented them from going further ahead, the unluckiest being new boy Gentle as he saw his efforts hitting everything but the net.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 5 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 6 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 9 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 10 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
The second half was much of the same with Foxton the stronger team. Powerful midfield play from man of the match Chris Aristo and solid defending from Andy Gray and Ally Flack dashing any hopes a still positive Gamlingay had of getting back in the game.
Foxton then managed to seal the victory with a third goal scored midway during the half. Player-manager Audley climbed highest to head home a cross from energetic winger Darren Chamberlain as he centred deep from the right hand side.
The only remaining significant chance of the game came after Gentle, impressive throughout, created some space for himself turning a defender wide outside the box, before curling the ball towards the far top corner, only to see it hit the bar.
Foxton return to action on Saturday when they host Lakenheath.