Foxton left stunned
Foxton 1 Hundon 2 FOXTON were left stunned on Saturday when a last minute goal handed visiting Hundon victory at the Rec. The previously unbeaten visitors had been out-battled from start to finish, but it was the same story of not taking chances combined
Foxton 1 Hundon 2
FOXTON were left stunned on Saturday when a last minute goal handed visiting Hundon victory at the Rec.
The previously unbeaten visitors had been out-battled from start to finish, but it was the same story of not taking chances combined with poor refereeing which led to Foxton's downfall.
On a wet and windy afternoon Foxton got to grips with the game first and had a good chance when Duncan Handscome headed over, then on 10 minutes the referee gave a harsh penalty against Foxton for Chris Haynes handling in the area, when the ball was hammered at him from three yards away.
You may also want to watch:
The resultant spot kick was put away by the Hundon forward, Kimsey diving the right way but the ball squirmed under him and into the net.
Five minutes later an identical situation occurred in the Hundon penalty area, but the inconsistent referee waved play on, frustrating the Foxton side resulting in a couple of bookings.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 5 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Royal Ascot: ones to watch on final day
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
Adam Fields had a good chance when he volleyed at goal from 20 yards, but the visiting keeper did well to hold, Foxton were awarded a penalty for a trip on Fields as he ran clear of the defence into the opposition penalty box.
Andy Gray stepped up and blasted the ball against the bar, no mean feat in a penalty box where you could hardly stand, but unfortunately for Foxton, they went in at the break 1-0 down.
Foxton dominated the first 25 minutes of the second half, and were rewarded with an equaliser from Handscombe when he headed home following a free kick to the far post.
It was all Foxton, Handscombe again heading home, this time an Andy Gray throw, but for some reason the referee disallowed the goal, again infuriating the Foxton players.
It stayed 1-1 until the last kick of the game, when Hundon had forced a corner, Gray won the header but it went straight up, and a Hundon centre half, won the next header and looped the ball into the net from eight yards, sealing the win for Hundon.
Foxton: Kimsey, Gwynn, Flack, Haynes, Gray, Clark, Chamberlain, Webber, Tokely, Fields, Handscombe, Subs: Wilkins, Cambridge