Comberton 1 Foxton 1 FOXTON travelled to Comberton on Saturday in what was sure to be a tricky fixture with their hosts sitting bottom of the table and desperate for points. Andy Cambridge s side started the game at a good tempo and looked very dangerous
Comberton 1 Foxton 1
FOXTON travelled to Comberton on Saturday in what was sure to be a tricky fixture with their hosts sitting bottom of the table and desperate for points.
Andy Cambridge's side started the game at a good tempo and looked very dangerous on the attack and in the fifth minute thought they had taken the lead when Dan Hoggarth headed home an Adam Fields corner, but the referee disallowed the goal for handball.
Comberton were able to put a few chances of their own together and on several occasions put some good balls into the box but they failed to work Jamie Chamberlain in the Foxton goal.
But with just minutes left in the half Comberton took the lead when Foxton failed to deal with a free kick which drifted past everyone into the net.
Foxton came out in the second period looking to improve on their first half efforts but they failed to get the early goal they were looking for.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 3 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 4 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 5 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 6 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 7 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 8 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 9 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 10 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
They hit the cross bar, as they had done at one point in the first half, but they were unable to break down their opponents' resilient defence until with just 10 minutes remaining Adam Fields hit a belter into the net.
Andy Cambridge said: "Comberton put in an enormous amount of effort defending and a defeat late on probably would have been harsh on them. We will just have to try harder next week."
Foxton: J Chamberlain, D Chamberlain, Ranner, Webber, Tokley, Lawrence, Aristo, Ogilvie, Wellstead, Hoggarth, Fields. Subs: Hayden, Margiotta, Swinton.