Fowlmerre shocked by happy Wanderers
Buntingford Wanderers 4 Fowlmere 1 FOWLMERE slipped to a surprise 4-1 defeat on Saturday as Buntingford Wanderers proved more than a match for the BIS Division 1A side. The hosts had their higher division opponents under the cosh early on and were 2-0
Buntingford Wanderers 4
FOWLMERE slipped to a surprise 4-1 defeat on Saturday as Buntingford Wanderers proved more than a match for the BIS Division 1A side.
The hosts had their higher division opponents under the cosh early on and were 2-0 up midway through the first half, despite the best efforts of Dan Caley and Shaun Audley in the Fowlmere attack.
You may also want to watch:
However, the visitors were undone for a third time, with when a Buntingford forward slid the ball home just before half- time.
Few opportunities fell Fowlmere's way, but they were rewarded after an hour when Audley slotted in a powerful finish.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
However, Wanderers hit them with a fourth.
Fowlmere manager Steve Walker said: "It wasn't the result we had possibly expected, but we did experiment with a few things.
"It was a chance to take a look at a couple of players and move some players around - which is what pre-season is all about.
"However, to be fair to Wanderers they were the better side, and in having the majority of the game deserved the victory.
"They were a tough side that kept the ball very well."
Fowlmere continue their pre-season fixtures tonight (Thursday) when they entertain Royston Town at Fowlmere Recreation ground, 6.30pm.
Walker said: "I know Paul Attfield and most of his players very well, having worked with them in the past, and I'm looking forward to testing ourselves against them.
"They're a very good team, so we're under no pressure. I just want my players to give a good account of themselves and enjoy the experience.
"I'm not sure what sort of line-up Royston will field, with their league season starting on Saturday, but I'm expecting a good, entertaining game.