Fowlmere set to face Gamlingay test
FOWLMERE manager Steve Walker admitted that he was disappointed but not too concerned after watching his side lose their final pre-season friendly 5-1 against Great Shelford on Saturday, action left. Walker made four changes to the team that beat Grea
FOWLMERE manager Steve Walker admitted that he was "disappointed" but "not too concerned" after watching his side lose their final pre-season friendly 5-1 against Great Shelford on Saturday, action left.
Walker made four changes to the team that beat Great Chishill 6-0 a week earlier, with Harben, Kew, May and Woods making way for Pedler, Cripps, King and Mizon.
But the changes did not pay dividends and Fowlmere found themselves 4-0 down at half-time.
Carl Frostik pulled one back for the home side after the break, but a fifth goal from the visitors at the death completed the rout.
You may also want to watch:
Walker told The Crow: "We changed a few things around and there were a few areas where we wanted to try different things."
Saturday's setback aside, Walker said that he was pleased with the way pre-season had gone.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 9 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
"Overall pre-season has been excellent and we have evolved as a squad," he said.
"We are looking very good going into the campaign and I believe that we can finish in the top two and get promoted."
Fowlmere play their first match of the new BIS Division 1A season on Saturday, September 6 away at newly-promoted Gamlingay United.
George Kew (leg injury) and Ian Ruggles (suspension) are set to miss Saturday's match but otherwise Walker has a full squad to choose from.
Fowlmere: Pedler, King, Ridings, Ruggles, Cripps, Darcy, Carver, Frostik, Caley, Mizon, Audley. (Subs): Woods, Harben, Fidgett.
Great Shelford Res 2
Great Chishill 1
Great Chishill's pre-season campaign ended in defeat, but a much improved performance will give them heart ahead of the league season.
Facing a strong Shelford side, they worked hard to deny their opponents opportunities in the first period, but fell behind to a fine 18-yard strike.
Although Oli Fitzgerald and Gary Radford caused problems for Shelford on the counter attack, the home side doubled their lead in the second half.
Chishill kept going, with Steve McGee and Colin Saward going close.
They got their reward when Matt Butcher converted a late penalty.