Fowlmere set to face Gamlingay test
FOWLMERE manager Steve Walker admitted that he was disappointed but not too concerned after watching his side lose their final pre-season friendly 5-1 against Great Shelford on Saturday, action left. Walker made four changes to the team that beat Grea
FOWLMERE manager Steve Walker admitted that he was "disappointed" but "not too concerned" after watching his side lose their final pre-season friendly 5-1 against Great Shelford on Saturday, action left.
Walker made four changes to the team that beat Great Chishill 6-0 a week earlier, with Harben, Kew, May and Woods making way for Pedler, Cripps, King and Mizon.
But the changes did not pay dividends and Fowlmere found themselves 4-0 down at half-time.
Carl Frostik pulled one back for the home side after the break, but a fifth goal from the visitors at the death completed the rout.
You may also want to watch:
Walker told The Crow: "We changed a few things around and there were a few areas where we wanted to try different things."
Saturday's setback aside, Walker said that he was pleased with the way pre-season had gone.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
"Overall pre-season has been excellent and we have evolved as a squad," he said.
"We are looking very good going into the campaign and I believe that we can finish in the top two and get promoted."
Fowlmere play their first match of the new BIS Division 1A season on Saturday, September 6 away at newly-promoted Gamlingay United.
George Kew (leg injury) and Ian Ruggles (suspension) are set to miss Saturday's match but otherwise Walker has a full squad to choose from.
Fowlmere: Pedler, King, Ridings, Ruggles, Cripps, Darcy, Carver, Frostik, Caley, Mizon, Audley. (Subs): Woods, Harben, Fidgett.
Great Shelford Res 2
Great Chishill 1
Great Chishill's pre-season campaign ended in defeat, but a much improved performance will give them heart ahead of the league season.
Facing a strong Shelford side, they worked hard to deny their opponents opportunities in the first period, but fell behind to a fine 18-yard strike.
Although Oli Fitzgerald and Gary Radford caused problems for Shelford on the counter attack, the home side doubled their lead in the second half.
Chishill kept going, with Steve McGee and Colin Saward going close.
They got their reward when Matt Butcher converted a late penalty.