Fowlmere's King reigns supreme
Duxford United 2 Fowlmere 2 FOWLMERE came back from two goals down to earn an important point away to league leaders Duxford. Goals from substitutes Carl Frostick and Matt King secured the point and leave Steve Walker s men second in BIS Division 1A, five
Duxford United 2 Fowlmere 2
FOWLMERE came back from two goals down to earn an important point away to league leaders Duxford.
Goals from substitutes Carl Frostick and Matt King secured the point and leave Steve Walker's men second in BIS Division 1A, five points behind their opponents with three games in hand.
It was Fowlmere's third away game in a row and after taking a maximum six points at March Rangers and Cambourne they knew they couldn't afford to slip up in such an important encounter.
You may also want to watch:
The game started evenly with some defending by both sides, but despite Fowlmere creating some good chances through Dan Caley and brothers Dave and Joe Carver, the teams went in 0-0 at half time.
Things took a turn for the worse as Dave Carver (ankle) was subbed at half time and Lee Ridings (bruised foot) had to be taken off at the start of the second half, but their replacements Carl Frostick and reserve team manager Darren Searle were able to get straight into the game.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 7 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
Duxford went 1-0 up soon after the break when a shot from outside the box flew into the top corner, and the home team doubled their lead shortly afterwards when a good team goal was finished off by a Duxford striker.
With about 20 minutes to go Folwmere pulled a goal back courtesy of their two substitutes when a long throw from the right was flicked on by Searle for Frostick to coolly finish.
Ten minute later Walker's charges equalised through another set play when Shaun Audley flicked on a free kick for right back Matt King to score his first for the club, and the game ended 2-2.
Steve Walker said he was delighted with his team's fight back, and that it was important to stay within touching distance of Duxford in the lead up to Christmas.
He said: "When you're 2-0 down away from home you could just give up but our team spirit is very strong and we showed that against Duxford in a result which puts pressure on them.
"We had worked on set pieces and spoken about them in the changing room before the game, and we knew we would be strong at them and credit must go to my assistant Shaun Audley who did a good job in setting them up.
"The important thing today was not to lose and in the long run it's important that we make these three games in hand count and get as many points from them as possible."
Folwmere: Harben, King, Ridings, Darcy, Kew, Ruggles, Fidgett, J Carver, Audly, D Carver, caley. (bench: Searle, frostick and walker.