Steeple Bumpstead 0 Fowlmere 2 FOWLMERE secured promotion from BIS Division 1A this week with two wins against the same opponent. The first saw Steve Walker s men beat Steeple Bumpstead 3-2 at home on Saturday thanks to goals from Dave Carver, Joe Carver
Steeple Bumpstead 0 Fowlmere 2
FOWLMERE secured promotion from BIS Division 1A this week with two wins against the same opponent.
The first saw Steve Walker's men beat Steeple Bumpstead 3-2 at home on Saturday thanks to goals from Dave Carver, Joe Carver and Ian Ruggles, while on Tuesday evening promotion was confirmed with a 2-0 win away with goals from Dave Carver (just as Walker was about to take him off) and the always lethal Ian Ruggles.
The promotion means that the club will next year play in the Kershaw Senior divisions for the first time in their history.
Walker said: "All I ever wanted to do this season is win promotion; everything else including cup competitions took a back seat.
"We're good enough to step up a level and none of us can wait to be playing a better standard of team in the senior league next year.
- 1 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 2 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 3 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 4 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 5 Royston children encouraged to write to the Queen
- 6 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 7 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 8 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
- 9 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
"We left it late on Tuesday evening and got two goals with 20 minutes to go against a good Steeple Bumpstead team but once we were 2-0 up I knew it was over."
Walker had brought Shaun Turner into the centre of midfield for the game to support his defenders and the move worked as Fowlmere kept a clean sheet against a team who had scored twice against them on Saturday when Fowlmere won 3-2.
"We've only a small squad and everyone has done their part this season and I'm delighted for the lads," Walker said.
"All 15 or 16 players in squad are good enough to start every game and their commitment this season has been fantastic. They deserve it."
Fowlmere: Harben, Kew, Darcy, Ridings, O'Farrell, Turner, D Carver, Ruggles, Audley, J Carver, Cripps. Subs: King Caley, Frostick, Wilson.