Steeple Bumpstead 0 Fowlmere 2 FOWLMERE secured promotion from BIS Division 1A this week with two wins against the same opponent. The first saw Steve Walker s men beat Steeple Bumpstead 3-2 at home on Saturday thanks to goals from Dave Carver, Joe Carver
Steeple Bumpstead 0 Fowlmere 2
FOWLMERE secured promotion from BIS Division 1A this week with two wins against the same opponent.
The first saw Steve Walker's men beat Steeple Bumpstead 3-2 at home on Saturday thanks to goals from Dave Carver, Joe Carver and Ian Ruggles, while on Tuesday evening promotion was confirmed with a 2-0 win away with goals from Dave Carver (just as Walker was about to take him off) and the always lethal Ian Ruggles.
The promotion means that the club will next year play in the Kershaw Senior divisions for the first time in their history.
You may also want to watch:
Walker said: "All I ever wanted to do this season is win promotion; everything else including cup competitions took a back seat.
"We're good enough to step up a level and none of us can wait to be playing a better standard of team in the senior league next year.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
"We left it late on Tuesday evening and got two goals with 20 minutes to go against a good Steeple Bumpstead team but once we were 2-0 up I knew it was over."
Walker had brought Shaun Turner into the centre of midfield for the game to support his defenders and the move worked as Fowlmere kept a clean sheet against a team who had scored twice against them on Saturday when Fowlmere won 3-2.
"We've only a small squad and everyone has done their part this season and I'm delighted for the lads," Walker said.
"All 15 or 16 players in squad are good enough to start every game and their commitment this season has been fantastic. They deserve it."
Fowlmere: Harben, Kew, Darcy, Ridings, O'Farrell, Turner, D Carver, Ruggles, Audley, J Carver, Cripps. Subs: King Caley, Frostick, Wilson.