Four Bank Holiday points from six for Royston

Kaan Fehmi scoring against St Ives Town

Kaan Fehmi scoring against St Ives Town - Credit: Archant

Royston Town collected four points from their Bank Holiday weekend matches to keep in contention at the right end of the Division One Central League table.

On Saturday, goals from Chris Watters, Kaan Fehmi and Staurt Bridges saw the Crows coast to a 3-0 home triumph against Aylesbury United.

Ives Town were the next opponents on Monday, and although Royston weren’t defeated, a 2-2 home draw after being 2-0 up at half-time will have left boss Steve Castle disappointed with a point.

So after six games Royston find themselves in fifth position in the league table with 10 points.

This Saturday Castle’s side turn their attention to the FA Cup, where they host Brightlingsea Regent in the Preliminary Round.

Regent play in the Ryman League Division One North, the same level as Royston, and have one win, one draw and four losses from their opening six games.

On Monday against St Ives, in the first period the Crows dominated almost every minute.

Most Read

Gary Hart was winning every forward ball against a physical back line and bringing his strike partner Fehmi into the game with regularity.

Hard-working Stuart Bridges had two good chances early on but put both over the bar.

With Castle urging patience and to keep the ball moving, the home team got the breakthrough on 34 minutes.

A fine move by Watters picked out Hart to win the ball under pressure and Fehmi went to ground to sweep in from four yards.

With their tails up, the Crows got their second two minutes later as Robbie Nightingale, who had had a good chance earlier in the game, unleashed a great long distance effort that left keeper Barney McLaughlin flat-footed.

It was almost three just before half-time as Watters set up rampant full back Jack Bradshaw for a stinging shot that smashed against the post from an acute angle.

Castle chose to rest the superb Ryan Wharton at half-time, shifting Bradshaw into centre-half and bringing on Nick Azzopardi at right back.

On 55 minutes Reece Dobson, having rejoined Royston, replaced Hart and the striker had an early chance, set up by Watters, that he chose to shoot rather than to square, and the ball hit the far post and away.

On 59 minutes St Ives made a substitution bringing on Will Muzvimbiri and this move proved significant to the final scoreline.

Only three minutes after coming off the bench, Muzvimbiri got behind Dave Theobald and coolly struck the ball low past the advancing Paul Bastock.

And to complete St Ives’ own two minutes of goal-scoring, Muzvimbiri got his second as the home defence failed to deal with another cross ball in and he headed in from close range to equalise the scores.

A period of stagnant midfield battle ensued and in desperation Theobald was pushed up front for the last five minutes to see if he could salvage something, but it wasn’t to be as the Crows were forced to settle for just a point.