Fosker treble makes it four wins in a row
Melbourn 5 Whittlesford Utd Res 2 STEVE Fosker s hat-trick helped Melbourn to their fourth straight league win. And it was an impressive victory for the hosts, who started the game on the back foot having to withstand some intense early pressure. Howeve
Melbourn 5 Whittlesford Utd Res 2
STEVE Fosker's hat-trick helped Melbourn to their fourth straight league win.
And it was an impressive victory for the hosts, who started the game on the back foot having to withstand some intense early pressure.
However, midway through the first half, Steve Marriott set the tone when he picked up a loose ball 30 yards out and sent a speculative low drive into the net.
You may also want to watch:
Melbourn continued to press, and they almost doubled their lead when a great chance fell to the feet of Fosker after a brilliant lofted pass from Jason Gray.
But following a mix-up between keeper Glenn Pearse and defender Stuart Collen moments later, Whittlesford were back on level terms.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 5 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 6 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
After the break Melbourn regained the lead when man-of-the-match Marriott controlled a long pass on his chest and unleashed a 25-yard volley over the stranded keeper.
However, they were knocked back once more when a well-worked Whittlesford set piece resulted in a second equaliser.
Melbourn forced their way in front again when Fosker beat the offside trap and fired home.
And he made it 4-2 when Marriott's through ball caused confusion, and Fosker pounced to poke the ball past the visiting keeper.
Fosker completed his hat-trick 10 minutes later when a corner was flicked into his path, and keeping his cool, he lashed home his side's fifth.
Melbourn: Pearse; Patman, Collen, Gray, Carse; Ridden, Wagstaff, Hill, Frances; Marriott, Fosker. (Sub): Griffin.