Fosker treble makes it four wins in a row
Melbourn 5 Whittlesford Utd Res 2 STEVE Fosker s hat-trick helped Melbourn to their fourth straight league win. And it was an impressive victory for the hosts, who started the game on the back foot having to withstand some intense early pressure. Howeve
Melbourn 5 Whittlesford Utd Res 2
STEVE Fosker's hat-trick helped Melbourn to their fourth straight league win.
And it was an impressive victory for the hosts, who started the game on the back foot having to withstand some intense early pressure.
However, midway through the first half, Steve Marriott set the tone when he picked up a loose ball 30 yards out and sent a speculative low drive into the net.
Melbourn continued to press, and they almost doubled their lead when a great chance fell to the feet of Fosker after a brilliant lofted pass from Jason Gray.
But following a mix-up between keeper Glenn Pearse and defender Stuart Collen moments later, Whittlesford were back on level terms.
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 3 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 4 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 5 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 6 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 9 Men's health champion receives funding boost from Ashwell Masonic Lodge
- 10 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
After the break Melbourn regained the lead when man-of-the-match Marriott controlled a long pass on his chest and unleashed a 25-yard volley over the stranded keeper.
However, they were knocked back once more when a well-worked Whittlesford set piece resulted in a second equaliser.
Melbourn forced their way in front again when Fosker beat the offside trap and fired home.
And he made it 4-2 when Marriott's through ball caused confusion, and Fosker pounced to poke the ball past the visiting keeper.
Fosker completed his hat-trick 10 minutes later when a corner was flicked into his path, and keeping his cool, he lashed home his side's fifth.
Melbourn: Pearse; Patman, Collen, Gray, Carse; Ridden, Wagstaff, Hill, Frances; Marriott, Fosker. (Sub): Griffin.