Fosker treble makes it four wins in a row
Melbourn 5 Whittlesford Utd Res 2 STEVE Fosker s hat-trick helped Melbourn to their fourth straight league win. And it was an impressive victory for the hosts, who started the game on the back foot having to withstand some intense early pressure. Howeve
Melbourn 5 Whittlesford Utd Res 2
STEVE Fosker's hat-trick helped Melbourn to their fourth straight league win.
And it was an impressive victory for the hosts, who started the game on the back foot having to withstand some intense early pressure.
However, midway through the first half, Steve Marriott set the tone when he picked up a loose ball 30 yards out and sent a speculative low drive into the net.
You may also want to watch:
Melbourn continued to press, and they almost doubled their lead when a great chance fell to the feet of Fosker after a brilliant lofted pass from Jason Gray.
But following a mix-up between keeper Glenn Pearse and defender Stuart Collen moments later, Whittlesford were back on level terms.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 3 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 4 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 5 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 10 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
After the break Melbourn regained the lead when man-of-the-match Marriott controlled a long pass on his chest and unleashed a 25-yard volley over the stranded keeper.
However, they were knocked back once more when a well-worked Whittlesford set piece resulted in a second equaliser.
Melbourn forced their way in front again when Fosker beat the offside trap and fired home.
And he made it 4-2 when Marriott's through ball caused confusion, and Fosker pounced to poke the ball past the visiting keeper.
Fosker completed his hat-trick 10 minutes later when a corner was flicked into his path, and keeping his cool, he lashed home his side's fifth.
Melbourn: Pearse; Patman, Collen, Gray, Carse; Ridden, Wagstaff, Hill, Frances; Marriott, Fosker. (Sub): Griffin.