Fosker treble makes it four wins in a row
Melbourn 5 Whittlesford Utd Res 2 STEVE Fosker s hat-trick helped Melbourn to their fourth straight league win. And it was an impressive victory for the hosts, who started the game on the back foot having to withstand some intense early pressure. Howeve
Melbourn 5 Whittlesford Utd Res 2
STEVE Fosker's hat-trick helped Melbourn to their fourth straight league win.
And it was an impressive victory for the hosts, who started the game on the back foot having to withstand some intense early pressure.
However, midway through the first half, Steve Marriott set the tone when he picked up a loose ball 30 yards out and sent a speculative low drive into the net.
Melbourn continued to press, and they almost doubled their lead when a great chance fell to the feet of Fosker after a brilliant lofted pass from Jason Gray.
But following a mix-up between keeper Glenn Pearse and defender Stuart Collen moments later, Whittlesford were back on level terms.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 8 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 9 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
After the break Melbourn regained the lead when man-of-the-match Marriott controlled a long pass on his chest and unleashed a 25-yard volley over the stranded keeper.
However, they were knocked back once more when a well-worked Whittlesford set piece resulted in a second equaliser.
Melbourn forced their way in front again when Fosker beat the offside trap and fired home.
And he made it 4-2 when Marriott's through ball caused confusion, and Fosker pounced to poke the ball past the visiting keeper.
Fosker completed his hat-trick 10 minutes later when a corner was flicked into his path, and keeping his cool, he lashed home his side's fifth.
Melbourn: Pearse; Patman, Collen, Gray, Carse; Ridden, Wagstaff, Hill, Frances; Marriott, Fosker. (Sub): Griffin.