Former Cantabs head coach takes reins at Royston
- Credit: Archant
Royston RFC have appointed Mick Jones as their new head coach.
Jones brings a wealth of experience having held the reins at Hitchin RFC, Letchworth and most recently Cantabs where he achieved two promotions in three seasons.
With the Crows, who were boosted this week by the announcment that England World Cup winner Will Greenwood will join as an honorary board member, eyeing Herts/Middlesex One promotion this season, Jones was drawn to the club’s ambition.
Jones said: “It was the ambition and drive shown by Royston to cultivate the players, the club and the game as a whole, which attracted me to drop down two divisions and lead this side.”
His first priority will be to retain the majority of the existing squad while elevating both core skills and fitness levels.
Jones will also focus on refining the abilities of the three senior teams to strengthen the club as a whole, while aiding player transition from colts to seniors.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 6 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 7 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 8 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
- 9 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 10 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England