Rampant Crusaders go goal crazy

PUBLISHED: 17:33 10 January 2008 | UPDATED: 14:21 04 May 2010

YOUTH FOOTBALL It was a goal fest for Celtic ­Crusaders Under-13, who re-started their league campaign in style with Ryan Geraghty and Jacob Leighton shining in front of goal. Priory Parkside were no match for the impressive Royston side, who romped home


It was a goal fest for Celtic ­Crusaders Under-13, who re-started their league campaign in style with Ryan Geraghty and Jacob Leighton shining in front of goal.

Priory Parkside were no match for the impressive Royston side, who romped home 11-1, with the hosts soon in front when Elliot Burr picked out Geraghty for his first of a brilliant four.

Danny Tye then set up Burr, who blasted his shot past the stranded ­Priory keeper, before Tye provided another, with Leighton on hand with a cool finish.

Another fine pass from Burr released Geraghty for his second and Celtic's fourth, before Daniel Synowiec won a loose ball and finished with a confident strike to put Celtic 5-0 ahead at the break.

And the second half started as the first had finished, with Sam Cooper's storming run down the right providing Leighton with a simple tap-in.

Moments later Cooper created space for man-of-the-match Geraghty, who completed his hat-trick with another well-taken strike.

Alfie Payne battled well throughout and he found Leighton outside the box with the striker turning his marker and firing past the Priory keeper for his hat-trick.

The impressive Burr then fed the ball for Leighton to score his fourth and Royston's ninth, before Burr turned goalscorer when he reacted quickest to Geraghty's parried shot.

Geraghty grabbed his fourth with a powerful low strike that nestled in the bottom left corner.

Priory claimed a late consolation, but it was a minor blip in an otherwise excellent defensive display by Celtic.

In the Under-13 Division Three there was another fine win for a Royston side, with Royston Town Colts A seeing off Bishop's Stortford CFC Youth 3-1.

Two second-half strikes from midfielder and man-of-the-match Lucas Sekobawane were enough to seal Colts' fifth away victory of the season - a win that lifted them into fifth place.

And the Colts started well, taking the lead early on with Conor Saggers slotting home a cool strike following Jordan Hall's flick on.

And the visitors continued to create chances, Hall going closest with two brilliant efforts.

Ashley Chapman was also unlucky not to get on the end of a back post cross minutes into the second half.

As the game wore on, Royston's possession began to tell, with Jake Benstead creating the breakthrough with a superb pass into the stride of Sekobawane, who smashed the ball home with ease.

Minutes later, Sekobawane netted his second of the match and his seventh of the season, this time prodding the ball in after some good play by Jack Bailey.

The hosts did, however, make the most of a Colts defensive mix-up late on to snatch a consolation, but Royston ran out deserved winners.

Melbourn Dynamos Tigers Under-10 came up against strong opposition in the form of Bishop's Stortford Park, but for a long period they more than held their own, with Sam Carrington impressing in the Tigers' goal.

However, Stortford were in front after 12 minutes with a well-worked effort from their right-winger.

But some strong covering by wing-backs Ben Breeze and Edward Twyman kept things tight for Melbourn.

And in front of them Dani Friel and Rebecca Brooker linked well, but the Stortford defence proved tough to break down, although Tigers did come close on a couple of occasions.

At the other end Carrington ­continued to make important stops, and worked well with defensive trio Oliver Steele, Michael Bevan, and Will Thompson. However, despite some impressive tackling, Stortford snatched a second late on to secure a 2-0 win.

There was welcome return to action for Hormead Hares Under-11 on ­Sunday in their first game since the start of December.

Despite taking time to find their feet, and with Stevenage Borough Blue ­taking an early lead, the Hares hit back with an impressive 4-2 win.

Defender and player-of-the-match Sam Huttlestone hit a powerful equaliser for Hormead, before Rhodri Hughes put them in front with a ­confident finish.

Then Edward Worby and Alex ­Underwood added two more just before half-time, with the points all but secured.

Hormead kept their nerve after the break, and despite creating a few opportunities, it was Stevenage who grabbed a late goal.

But with just minutes ­remaining, their comeback was too late.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Royston Crow. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Royston Crow