It’s over! Melbourn finally win

PUBLISHED: 10:48 21 September 2006 | UPDATED: 14:49 12 May 2010

FOXTON FC 2006/7

FOXTON FC 2006/7

Great Shelford A 1 Melbourn Res 3 MELBOURN S newly-formed reserve side ended the club s unenviable record with a win at Shelford, on Saturday. The last victory in any competition by a Melbourn side was in December 2004 when they beat Cherry Hinton 2 -1 i

Great Shelford A 1

Melbourn Res 3

MELBOURN'S newly-formed reserve side ended the club's unenviable record with a win at Shelford, on Saturday.

The last victory in any competition by a Melbourn side was in December 2004 when they beat Cherry Hinton 2 -1 in the Senior B Division.

The hosts had the better of the opening period as Melbourn struggled to get to grips with the game and their own formation.

On around the 10 minute mark though, they opened the scoring. Andy Edwards broke up an attack deep in his own half, played a great through ball down the middle into Tom Barton's path and he finished well, slotting the ball through the keeper's legs.

Soon after Barton doubled his and his side's tally, converting Andrew Ridden's cross with sharp turn and shot from the edge of the box.

On 35 minutes, the visitors were three up, Barton again involved, helping on Stephen Edwards's flick to Chris Paxton who shot across goal into the bottom corner.

After the break, it was Shelford who seemed the more determined and they were rewarded with an early goal - Melbourn were caught by a long ball down the middle and their striker slotted home past Aaron Tyler.

The rest of the match was largely uneventful, littered with stoppages and injuries with Shelford pushing to get back into the game but Melbourn held out for a memorable victory, ending the 21 months of pain.

Melbourn: A Tyler, J Wollaston, S Collen, A Edwards (P Drinkwater), A Harrington, A Morris, A Ridden, S Marriott, C Paxton (A Cooper), T Barton, S Edwards

Foxton 1 Wisbech Town Res 0

FOXTON got back to winning ways on Saturday with a good performance in their first home game of the season against a tough Wisbech side.

The only goal of the game was scored by player-manager Sean Audley, when he tapped in from close range after a great cross from full back Vinny Spina after 10 minutes.

Foxton repeatedly put pressure on the Wisbech defence, with Darren Chamberlain's pace causing problems all game, however they could not find a breakthrough for the rest of the half.

After the break, Foxton continued to dominate, with Andy Gray having a penalty appeal turned down after being flattened by the visiting keeper when through on goal.

Chamberlain was again in the action when a Wisbech defender lashed out in front of the ref and received a straight red card after 70 minutes.

Wisbech were fired up for the last 20 minutes, but Foxton defended well and ensured another three points and moved them up to second in the table.

Another home game on Saturday sees Girton United visit the Rec, kick off 3pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Royston Crow. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Royston Crow