Five star Celtic beat Stevenage Town Youth
Royston Celtic 5 – 3 Stevenage Town CELTIC came off the back of the Easter break looking to continue the rich vein of form they have had against the teams in the top half of the table and hosted second placed Stevenage Town at a windy Greneway School. T
Royston Celtic 5 - 3 Stevenage Town
CELTIC came off the back of the Easter break looking to continue the rich vein of form they have had against the teams in the top half of the table and hosted second placed Stevenage Town at a windy Greneway School.
The gusting wind played the pivotal part in this game and assisted Stevenage in grabbing an early goal which looked by all accounts to be going wide until it turned in the wind and dropped under the cross bar. Celtic hit back almost immediately with the in-form Edwards outpacing the Stevenage defence and firing home.
Celtic's and Edwards second was a carbon copy of his first as he again out ran the defence and coolly slotted home to put Celtic in front. Stevenage equalised within minutes, again using the wind to lob the stranded Houghton in the Celtic goal.
You may also want to watch:
From the re start Celtic 3-2 up after Little played a ball over the top which was headed over the stranded Stevenage keeper by one of the Stevenage defence.
Celtic went 4-2 up after Birks rounded off a sublime passage of interchanging passing between the Celtic midfield.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 6 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
Edwards then grabbed his 3rd and Celtic's 5th after he smashed the ball home from just inside the box.
As the half wound down Stevenage again took advantage of the wind and grabbed a surprise goal to make it 5-3 at half time.
The second half saw Houghton in the Celtic goal the busier of the two 'keepers for the first 15 minutes which saw him save bravely at the feet of the Stevenage attack. As the wind changed Celtic took advantage and began to over run Stevenage with some fine passages of play down the wings with Barnes going close on numerous occasions.
Thomas on for the rested Edwards went the closest of the Celtic attack and had his mazy run and excellent strike saved by the out stretched hand of the Stevenage keeper which proved to be the last shot of the game.
Team: M. Houghton, R. Smith, J. Sartini, J. Logan, J. O'Brien, G. Pemberton, M. Barnes, C. Little, B. Seabrook, K. Birks, J. Edwards, R. Thomas, G. Byles, J. Austin-Tierney.