Five star Celtic beat Stevenage Town Youth
Royston Celtic 5 – 3 Stevenage Town CELTIC came off the back of the Easter break looking to continue the rich vein of form they have had against the teams in the top half of the table and hosted second placed Stevenage Town at a windy Greneway School. T
Royston Celtic 5 - 3 Stevenage Town
CELTIC came off the back of the Easter break looking to continue the rich vein of form they have had against the teams in the top half of the table and hosted second placed Stevenage Town at a windy Greneway School.
The gusting wind played the pivotal part in this game and assisted Stevenage in grabbing an early goal which looked by all accounts to be going wide until it turned in the wind and dropped under the cross bar. Celtic hit back almost immediately with the in-form Edwards outpacing the Stevenage defence and firing home.
Celtic's and Edwards second was a carbon copy of his first as he again out ran the defence and coolly slotted home to put Celtic in front. Stevenage equalised within minutes, again using the wind to lob the stranded Houghton in the Celtic goal.
You may also want to watch:
From the re start Celtic 3-2 up after Little played a ball over the top which was headed over the stranded Stevenage keeper by one of the Stevenage defence.
Celtic went 4-2 up after Birks rounded off a sublime passage of interchanging passing between the Celtic midfield.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
- 10 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
Edwards then grabbed his 3rd and Celtic's 5th after he smashed the ball home from just inside the box.
As the half wound down Stevenage again took advantage of the wind and grabbed a surprise goal to make it 5-3 at half time.
The second half saw Houghton in the Celtic goal the busier of the two 'keepers for the first 15 minutes which saw him save bravely at the feet of the Stevenage attack. As the wind changed Celtic took advantage and began to over run Stevenage with some fine passages of play down the wings with Barnes going close on numerous occasions.
Thomas on for the rested Edwards went the closest of the Celtic attack and had his mazy run and excellent strike saved by the out stretched hand of the Stevenage keeper which proved to be the last shot of the game.
Team: M. Houghton, R. Smith, J. Sartini, J. Logan, J. O'Brien, G. Pemberton, M. Barnes, C. Little, B. Seabrook, K. Birks, J. Edwards, R. Thomas, G. Byles, J. Austin-Tierney.