Five-star Blues wrap up win against Wymondley Jets

Wymondley Park Jets 3 BSCFC Blues 5 Under-14s Division TwoSOMETIMES it is difficult to accept defeat, but this was of those games where for nearly an hour the Blues seemed determined to pluck defeat from the jaws of victory. On a bitingly cold December a

Wymondley Park Jets 3 BSCFC Blues 5

Under-14s Division Two

SOMETIMES it is difficult to accept defeat, but this was of those games where for nearly an hour the Blues seemed determined to pluck defeat from the jaws of victory.

On a bitingly cold December afternoon, Wymondley Park Jets started the game with more energy, more speed and more desire than a strangely lacklustre Blues team.

For the first five minutes Jets swarmed all over the Blues and at times appeared to be the only team interested in competing for the ball.

It therefore came as little surprise that it was the Jets who seized the lead in the sixth minute when lethargy and a lack of concentration in the Blues defence allowed Jets' talented forward Louis to finish his own pacy run off with a sure finish into the corner.

Most Read

Even the shock of falling a goal behind did little to shake the Blues out of their stupor, and the Jets continued to press forward and ask questions of their opponents.

The Blues equaliser on nine minutes therefore came against the run of play as a speculative long ball slipped through the grasp of the Jets keeper and Mark Redcliffe, who is in a rich vein of form at the moment, took a chance and stroked the ball into the empty net after running behind the 'keeper.

It was an equaliser the Blues barely deserved and rather then step up a gear they proceeded to allow Wymondley Park the freedom of their penalty area from a corner.

In spite of Blues having seven outfield players and the goalkeeper around the ball, the one Jets player in the vicinity was given time and space to place a rebound into the net from three yards out to put his side back into the lead.

The Blues are nothing if not resilient, and in spite of the general levels of apathy Greg Harrison, Mark Redcliffe and Harry Synowski were prepared to work hard and graft for the ball.

Gradually they clawed their way back into the game and after 28 minutes Blues created the goal of the game.

Harrison, making a welcome return to the side, had already displayed several strong touches and played several key passes in the minutes preceding the equaliser.

Collecting the ball out wide on the right, he cut inside one player then went outside another to leave himself in the clear and rather than take on a narrow angle himself he then selflessly squared the ball for Redcliffe lying in wait on the penalty spot.

Redcliffe still had plenty to do, but made no mistake with a beautifully placed shot that the goalkeeper could not prevent from finding the corner of his net.

Less than a minute later and the Blues turned the game on its head.

Synowski played an excellent through ball to Harrison and finding himself one on one on the edge of the box, Harrison kept his head and rounded the 'keeper before finishing with aplomb.

The second half could not have started much worse as just three minutes into the second period the Jets were awarded a somewhat generous penalty.

Tommy Baiss made a wonderful stop from the penalty, but was unable to parry the ball to safety and the Jets forward followed up quickly to tuck in the rebound.

Despite the misfortune of conceding a soft penalty, the Blues grabbed hold of the game and started to play the type of football that has propelled them into the upper reaches of Division Two so far this season.

Synowski, Redcliffe, Harrison and Clarry Williams worked particularly hard to gain control of midfield and the fresh legs of Jordan Sanderson proved to be the undoing for Jets after 25 minutes of the second half.

Running on to a through ball, Sanderson found himself racing clear on the left hand edge of the box and from a tight angle hit a shot which the 'keeper initially seemed to save.

Agonisingly for him, the ball spun through his fingers and went in between his legs despite a defender's attempt to clear the ball.

Jets' forward Louis was still asking lots of questions of Blues' back line and went through on goal only to hit narrowly wide on three separate occasions.

However, the fourth Blues goal marked a change in momentum and it came as no real surprise when four minutes later Synowski put the result beyond doubt.

From a Billy Cox throw the Blues worked the ball onto the edge of the area and won a corner and Synowski collected the ball on the edge of the area, side stepped a despairing challenge and curled the ball into the net magnificently for the fifth goal.