Five players receive county call-up
FIVE Greneway and Corvus Cornix Basketball Club players have been selected to represent their Hertfordshire youth team.
This is an impressive total from one school and their local, Royston club, Corvus Cornix.
All the players have been training hard with their respective squads in readiness for the upcoming regional tournament against Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk.
The winners will then go onto the inter-regional matches at Lilleshall in September which is used to select the England U13 and U15 teams for the 2011/12 season.
The girls are: Christy Stubbs, Leah Parcell (U15s), Kelly Newsome and Cerys Curtis (U13s). All four were part of the outstanding, nationally top ten-ranked, Greneway team. Gus Rees, a member of Herts Leopards’ successful U14 team, has also relished the opportunities afforded him at county, regional and national levels this season.
You may also want to watch:
Greneway assistant headteacher, Terry Graves, says the players fully deserve their call-ups.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 5 Get on your bike for the A10 Awareness Ride comeback
- 6 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 7 Council leader calls for 'kind and courteous' queuing for fuel
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
“Greneway and Corvus continue to produce high quality team players and this latest crop will hopefully use this elite selection as a stepping stone to even greater achievement in the future. All the players are a pleasure to work with and a real credit to themselves, the school and Royston.”
The girls also play for Herts Warriors BC in the national league.
Pictured are: Kelly Newsome, Christy Stubbs, Leah Parcell, Cerys Curtis and Gus Rees.