Five players receive county call-up
FIVE Greneway and Corvus Cornix Basketball Club players have been selected to represent their Hertfordshire youth team.
This is an impressive total from one school and their local, Royston club, Corvus Cornix.
All the players have been training hard with their respective squads in readiness for the upcoming regional tournament against Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk.
The winners will then go onto the inter-regional matches at Lilleshall in September which is used to select the England U13 and U15 teams for the 2011/12 season.
The girls are: Christy Stubbs, Leah Parcell (U15s), Kelly Newsome and Cerys Curtis (U13s). All four were part of the outstanding, nationally top ten-ranked, Greneway team. Gus Rees, a member of Herts Leopards’ successful U14 team, has also relished the opportunities afforded him at county, regional and national levels this season.
You may also want to watch:
Greneway assistant headteacher, Terry Graves, says the players fully deserve their call-ups.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 5 Say this secret phrase and get a free pint for the first game of the Euros
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 8 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
- 9 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
“Greneway and Corvus continue to produce high quality team players and this latest crop will hopefully use this elite selection as a stepping stone to even greater achievement in the future. All the players are a pleasure to work with and a real credit to themselves, the school and Royston.”
The girls also play for Herts Warriors BC in the national league.
Pictured are: Kelly Newsome, Christy Stubbs, Leah Parcell, Cerys Curtis and Gus Rees.