Fisher just spot-on to end Town’s losing run
London Lions 0 Buntingford Town 1 PHIL Fisher s first-half penalty gave Buntingford Town a much-needed win and ended their four-game losing streak. It was an important win for Town, with opponents London Lions breathing down their neck in sixth place and
London Lions 0 Buntingford Town 1
PHIL Fisher's first-half penalty gave Buntingford Town a much-needed win and ended their four-game losing streak.
It was an important win for Town, with opponents London Lions breathing down their neck in sixth place and looking to leapfrog Buntingford into the top five of the Herts Senior Premier Division.
And the hosts certainly made them work for the three points with Buntingford defenders Alex Cox, Barry Lynch and Wes Fox solid throughout and keeper Dean Shipp awarded man-of-the-match.
Assistant manager Paul Fisher said: "We had to work very hard for the win and had to defend for long periods of the game.
"I was very impressed with our defence, but we did well all over the park. London Lions are a good side and had a lot of possession - fortunately they lacked a bit of fire power.
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
"But we also looked good going forward and Phil took his penalty very well. We created chances and we were perhaps unlucky not to have had a few more with both Steve Gibbons and Gary Christie going close.
" We've got a home game against Evergreen this Saturday, which should be another tough match. But we've got the confidence now to get a result."
Buntingford Town: Shipp; Cox, Clarke, Lynch, Fox; Sutton, Gibbons, Downham, Margiotta; Christie, Fisher.