First win of the season for Royston
Royston Ladies 5 St Neots II 4 ROYSTON recorded their first win of the season in a topsy-turvy encounter with St Neots. St Neots caught Royston napping to take the lead from a short corner, but Sarah Buckfield soon levelled with a powerful shot. An
Royston Ladies 5 St Neots II 4
ROYSTON recorded their first win of the season in a topsy-turvy encounter with St Neots.
St Neots caught Royston napping to take the lead from a short corner, but Sarah Buckfield soon levelled with a powerful shot. Another well-rehearsed corner saw St Neots regain the lead, only for Denise Underwood to restore parity.
Then great work from Buckfield set up Julie Fuller, who scored her first goal for the club to make the half time score 3-2.
You may also want to watch:
The second half began with a period of St Neots domination, which culminated in the sixth goal of the match, bringing the score back to 3-3.
To their credit, Royston upped the tempo, and a neat one-two between Buckfield and Sophie Gathercole saw the latter slot home their fourth goal.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
It was soon 4-4 when St Neots broke away to equalise again, but Fuller had the last word, deceiving a defender and slipping the ball home to give Royston a much- needed victory.
Royston Ladies II 5 St. Albans 0
FIVE goals in 18 minutes saw Royston maintain their 100 per cent record and take over as league leaders.
A devastating first-half display saw top-scorer Lucy Davison score a hat-trick, before she turned provider, putting in crosses for Sarah Farmer and Kate Nankivell to score their first goals of the season.
Royston were unlucky not to add further goals, with Nankivell and player-of-the-match Kirsty Penfold going close.
They now sit two points clear at the top of the table, after leaders Harpenden only drew.
Royston Ladies III 0 Stevenage Ladies IV 2
ROYSTON were again left to rue missed chances, as two late goals condemned them to defeat.
With Sarah Warren and Caroline Yarrow performing well on the right flank, they came close to taking the lead when Yarrow found Lisa Thompson, who was denied by a great save from the Stevenage keeper.
New signing Gemma Whitby was also unlucky not to score, but as the match progressed Stevenage got stronger, and two goals in the last 10 minutes secured them the win.