First team drop first home points of the season
Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON Hockey Club Men’s First Team dropped their first points at home of the season with a 2-0 defeat to Berkhamsted.
The early play saw both sides see equal amounts of possession with Royston using their share to draw a save from the Berkhamsted defence from a low short corner strike, that was batted away off the line to keep the score level. However the visitors took the lead following a short corner before half-time.
Royston werent able to find a way back into the match after the break and despite pressing their opponents, the visitors scored a killer second to seal the win.
A mix-and-match IIs travelled to St Albans for a match against Harpenden IIIs, but suffered an 8-0 defeat.
You may also want to watch:
There was better news for the IIIs as they defeated Southgate Adelaide IIIs 2-0.
The opposition, who arrived with only nine players, never really worried the home side, even though they were playing on the unfamiliar playing surface of Meridian School. Both goals were scored in the first half, Mark Jacobs setting up debutant Chris London to slot into an open goal from close range, before Jacobs scored himself by weaving into the D before blasting the ball under the goalkeeper.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
The wind was strong and despite numerous chances and short corners, no more goals were scored.
The Men’s IVs recorded a narrow 1-0 win over Southgate Adelaide IVs with Clive Biddlecombe scoring the only goal from a penalty corner.
The Ladies’ First Team earned a hard-fought draw against Bedford IIs, who were their toughest opponents of the season so far.
Royston and Bedford hold the two top spots in the Premier Division of the Five Counties League having both won all of their games prior to Saturday. This game was vital and Royston’s motivation was evident to all of their supporters on the sideline.
Royston enjoyed some excellent periods with precise passing meaning they were able to put the Bedford defense under pressure. After half time Royston came out with even more determination and eventually broke the deadlock. A lovely run from Denise Underwood put Player of the Match Ruth Askham through at the top of the D, who placed a thunderous strike into the top corner.
Wendy Holt then got Royston’s second when she robbed the ball expertly from a defender in the D to slot home past the ‘keeper.
Bedford responded well to Royston’s two-goal lead and even though the home side’s defence was strong, Bedford managed to claw their way back into the game with an equaliser.
The Ladies’ IIs lost 3-0 to Harpenden IIs despite the efforts of Sarah farmer, Lucy Davidson and Emma Whitaker who all went close for Royston.