First competitive competition for martial arts juniors
- Credit: Archant
MARTIAL arts students from Royston’s GMax Academy took part in their first Kung Fu Tournament held at Royston Leisure Centre.
Twelve junior students aged seven-11 competed in four categories, performing various Northern Shaolin Kung Fu routines.
Glen Stanway, founder and chief instructor of the GMax Academy, said: “I wanted to organise a tournament to give the children a taste of what it is like to compete before I take them to regional and national competitions later this year.”
The event also raised in excess of £100 for the GMax Foundation, which has paid for training equipment for the club and raised money for Marie Curie Cancer Care.
Some tightly contested categories saw Caitlin Haddow, aged 7, and Jake Grimes, 9, win gold medals, with Reese Grimes, 7, winning silver, and Dillen Ellis, 10, and Liam Marshall, also 10, taking bronze medals.
You may also want to watch:
George Stanway, aged 8, won a gold and a bronze medal, with Emilio Mullard, 8, winning two silvers.
The “winner takes all” Freestyle Category saw 10 children competing for the GMax Chin Woo Wushu Champion 2013 Trophy Shield.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 6 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
- 10 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
The students performed some very complex and sometimes acrobatic routines, with Jake Grimes crowned the eventual champion.
GMax teaches Kung Fu and Kickboxing classes in Royston.
For details visit www. gmax.me.uk or call Glen on 07563 755199.