Fifteen minute hat trick
Sharnbrook Ladies 1 Royston Town Ladies 3 SHARON Pinner s three goals in the final 15 minutes secured a remarkable comeback for Royston's ladies away to Sharnbrook. Playing in atrocious conditions, Royston produced a really gutsy performance to turn the g
Sharnbrook Ladies 1 Royston Town Ladies 3
SHARON Pinner's three goals in the final 15 minutes secured a remarkable comeback for Royston's ladies away to Sharnbrook.
Playing in atrocious conditions, Royston produced a really gutsy performance to turn the game around after conceding after just two minutes when a failed Emma Chaffey clearance fell to a Sharnbrook player who hit the ball past Claire Draper in the Crows' goal.
The visitors responded with a series of good passing moves which made light of the muddy surface but although Stacey Hassen and Lucy Davidson both had good opportunities, poor finishing and brave goalkeeping combined to deny them an equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
The second half started with Royston continuing to play the better football and a surging run from the back by skipper Vicky Foulger caused havoc in the hosts' defence.
But instead of trying her luck, the unselfish Foulger passed to a teammate only to see the move fizzle out.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 7 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 8 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 9 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
Royston deserved to draw level and did so with 15 minutes remaining when Pinner produced a great angled strike.
Sharnbrook responded immediately and put the ball in the back of their opponents' net after some sloppy defending by the visitors, but after consulting his linesman the referee disallowed the goal for offside.
Royston, realising they had been let off the hook, again pushed forward and Pinner struck twice in the last five minutes to complete her hat trick.
Speaking after the game, manager Kevin Foulger said: "These were probably the worst conditions we've experienced and the players on both teams deserve credit for putting on what was an entertaining and full-blooded contest.
"Needless to say, I'm delighted to have taken all three points.