Fields day as Foxton retain cup
Foxton 1 Girton United 0 A FIRST-HALF strike from Adam Fields was all Foxton needed to retain the William Cockerill Cup on Monday, beating Girton United at Cambridge City Football Club. The holders were a constant menace from the off, and put Girton unde
Foxton 1 Girton United 0
A FIRST-HALF strike from Adam Fields was all Foxton needed to retain the William Cockerill Cup on Monday, beating Girton United at Cambridge City Football Club.
The holders were a constant menace from the off, and put Girton under a barrage of early pressure.
With the physical presence of Chris Aristo and Barry Webber in midfield and the skill and pace of Fields in attack, Foxton were always confident of creating chances.
You may also want to watch:
And it was the lively Fields who scored the all-important goal midway through the first half, when an excellent piece of play from Iain Tokely put him through to smash home from eight yards.
Jamie Clark headed off the Foxton line to keep his side in front moments before half time.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 5 Get on your bike for the A10 Awareness Ride comeback
- 6 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 7 Council leader calls for 'kind and courteous' queuing for fuel
- 8 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
The second half continued much as the first, with Foxton on the attack and creating the better chances, with Fields causing a number of problems with his running and sheer determination.
In the last 10 minutes Girton threw all they could at Foxton, but the back line of Gray, Chamberlain, Flack and Clark held firm.
Foxton squad: A Cambridge, A Flack, A Gray, D Chamberlain, J Clark, B Webber, C Aristo, D Handscombe, I Tokely, A Fields, S Audley, C Coates, T Williams, M Rhodes, V Spina.