FA Cup tie against Histon awaits Royston Town

Royston's Robbie Mason in action

Royston's Robbie Mason in action - Credit: Archant

It’s been an eventful few days for Royston Town Football Club.

On Saturday it was all about positives - Royston Town defeated higher-league Chesham United with a last minute winner to progress in the FA Cup. They are now set to face Histon at Garden Walk on September 28 in a derby clash.

With the clock ticking past the 90-minute mark Robbie Mason seized the moment and sent over a right wing cross that skimmed the head of the desperate central defender landing awkwardly for Ryan Lockett to shoot low and accurate.

Home keeper Shane Gore made a brilliant right hand save on the goal line – but the alert and determined Lockett followed up and buried the rebound to break Chesham hearts and secure a 2-1 victory.

Earlier the prolific Mason had equalised Drew Robert’s opener.

Speaking about the FA Cup success, manager Paul Attfield said: “No-one gave us a chance of winning, and it was all about how well Chesham have started.

“So to win the game, and in the way we did it, is a great confidence booster and everyone was cock-a-hoop afterwards.

Most Read

“The longer the game went on I believed we could get the victory. To get to the stage we’re at now is fantastic.

“It’s a terrific payday for the club, and maybe some of the magic of the FA Cup can rub off on us in the next round against Histon.”

But then on Monday it was back to Calor League Division One Central action, with the referee the central figure in a 2-2 draw away at Beaconsfield.

Gary Nowak sent off Crows’ keeper George Lawton early in the second half with the score at 0-0, Aaron Morgan netting the resultant spot-kick to deliver a hammer blow to Attfield’s men.

But their despair at what they felt was an incorrect decision galvanised Royston, and Mason headed home an equaliser. Nathan Paulten put Beaconsfield 2-1 up, but then in the last minute, Nowak gave a questionable handball decision in Royston’s favour, and substitute Craig Hammond fired home the resultant spot-kick.

“I think the referee was out of his depth, and he could have cost us a lot,” said Attfield.

“It was an outrageous decision to send George [Lawton] off, everyone including the linesman could see it was a good tackle.

“They say it evens itself out in the end, and we got a penalty that shouldn’t have been, but in the end I am just pleased to have got a point.”