European KungFu medal for Royston schoolboy
- Credit: Archant
A schoolboy from Royston has claimed a bronze medal at the European Kung Fu Championship.
Yavor Czarnawski-Iliev was part of the GB Wushu team that headed to Moscow, wushu being the accurate chinese version of kung fu.
The 10-year old had to pass a rigorous selection process in January to become the youngest member of the GB team.
And after going through the long and disciplined training sessions, coupled with four-hours of travelling to the Wirral for every squad meet-up, Czarnawski-Iliev came home with the bronze medal for an open hand in the Cha Quan style.
He also came fourth in Shaolin sword with the GB team collecting five medals in total including two golds.
He said: “This was my first international competition and it taught me a lot.
“It was also fun to be with my friends who love kung fu as much as I do.”
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 3 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 4 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 5 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 6 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 7 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 8 Bringing sunshine to our NHS - charity launches match funding to double money
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
He started kung fu at Royston’s GMax Academy and also does gymnastics at Royston Leisure Centre.