European KungFu medal for Royston schoolboy
- Credit: Archant
A schoolboy from Royston has claimed a bronze medal at the European Kung Fu Championship.
Yavor Czarnawski-Iliev was part of the GB Wushu team that headed to Moscow, wushu being the accurate chinese version of kung fu.
The 10-year old had to pass a rigorous selection process in January to become the youngest member of the GB team.
And after going through the long and disciplined training sessions, coupled with four-hours of travelling to the Wirral for every squad meet-up, Czarnawski-Iliev came home with the bronze medal for an open hand in the Cha Quan style.
He also came fourth in Shaolin sword with the GB team collecting five medals in total including two golds.
He said: “This was my first international competition and it taught me a lot.
“It was also fun to be with my friends who love kung fu as much as I do.”
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Citizens Advice: Getting your budget back on track
He started kung fu at Royston’s GMax Academy and also does gymnastics at Royston Leisure Centre.