End of season competitions
THE last outdoor game was played on Saturday with club president Will Martin throwing out a challenge to club captain Peter Fisk and the ladies captain Yvonne Whitehouse to engage in combat. Teams were selected with some 42 members taking part and the cap
THE last outdoor game was played on Saturday with club president Will Martin throwing out a challenge to club captain Peter Fisk and the ladies captain Yvonne Whitehouse to engage in combat.
Teams were selected with some 42 members taking part and the captains' team put up a valiant fight but on the day were out gunned, only managing to win on one rink and drawing on another.
The president on the other hand was basking in glory as his team romped home by winning on four of the six rinks, and producing a decisive 123 shots to the captains' measly 105.
After the game, Mr Martin thanked everyone for their support throughout. He announced that the money collected for his charity - MAGPAS - was now at around �2,000, with over �1,000 being collected during the summer tour.
You may also want to watch:
A few of the Royston Bowls Club successes were: Matt Coppen playing in the national under-30's squad; Don Sheriff and Peter Adams becoming the national 55-and-over champions; Gillian Fisk, Eileen Hyde and Eunice Dockree becoming the North Herts Women's Bowling Association (NHWBA) Triples Champions; Gillian Fisk the NHWBA 'Hedgehog' Singles runner-up; Len Payne (sub for Laurie Ramsay), Mick O'Flanagan and Peter Adams coming runners-up in the Letchworth and District (L&D) Triples Championship; Brian Pepper (sub for Matt Coppen) and Peter Adams runners-up in L&D Pairs championship; Simon Lee, Stewart Brown and Matt Coppen semi-finalists in the County Triples; Royston Bowls Club winning the L&D Cairns Cup; Royston's second place in the North Herts Inter-Club League.
Overall, the club had a successful season but there were a few competitions in which they feel they could have done better, in particular the Team Ten championship, but as we all realise it's all on the day.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 4 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 5 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 6 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 9 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 10 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town