End of season competitions
THE last outdoor game was played on Saturday with club president Will Martin throwing out a challenge to club captain Peter Fisk and the ladies captain Yvonne Whitehouse to engage in combat. Teams were selected with some 42 members taking part and the cap
THE last outdoor game was played on Saturday with club president Will Martin throwing out a challenge to club captain Peter Fisk and the ladies captain Yvonne Whitehouse to engage in combat.
Teams were selected with some 42 members taking part and the captains' team put up a valiant fight but on the day were out gunned, only managing to win on one rink and drawing on another.
The president on the other hand was basking in glory as his team romped home by winning on four of the six rinks, and producing a decisive 123 shots to the captains' measly 105.
After the game, Mr Martin thanked everyone for their support throughout. He announced that the money collected for his charity - MAGPAS - was now at around �2,000, with over �1,000 being collected during the summer tour.
You may also want to watch:
A few of the Royston Bowls Club successes were: Matt Coppen playing in the national under-30's squad; Don Sheriff and Peter Adams becoming the national 55-and-over champions; Gillian Fisk, Eileen Hyde and Eunice Dockree becoming the North Herts Women's Bowling Association (NHWBA) Triples Champions; Gillian Fisk the NHWBA 'Hedgehog' Singles runner-up; Len Payne (sub for Laurie Ramsay), Mick O'Flanagan and Peter Adams coming runners-up in the Letchworth and District (L&D) Triples Championship; Brian Pepper (sub for Matt Coppen) and Peter Adams runners-up in L&D Pairs championship; Simon Lee, Stewart Brown and Matt Coppen semi-finalists in the County Triples; Royston Bowls Club winning the L&D Cairns Cup; Royston's second place in the North Herts Inter-Club League.
Overall, the club had a successful season but there were a few competitions in which they feel they could have done better, in particular the Team Ten championship, but as we all realise it's all on the day.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches