Emphatic Royston hit five at Biggleswade

Superb second half display blows away United

ROYSTON TOWN maintained their excellent run of form with an emphatic victory away at Biggleswade United on Tuesday night.

After a largely uneventful first half, Paul Attfield’s side were totally unplayable after the break and goals from Glen Lamacraft, Ryan Lockett (two), Ashley Grinham and Carl Edwards capped an impressive showing at Second Meadow.

Attfield lost David Cain to illness and Bobby Dance to work commitments leading up to the game but there were places in the squad for the returning Ross Collins and Martin Standen following their respective three-match bans.

The first half was completely devoid of any quality with only a couple of half chances created by the visitors.

Biggleswade worked hard as a unit but also lacked any real attacking threat and it was a relatively comfortable night for Crows ‘keeper Luke Howard.

Royston lost Rhys Lawrence midway through the half with a leg injury, which allowed Martin Standen to make an early entry amid some re-shuffling in the formation.

Most Read

Both teams were guilty of giving up possession far to easily and when Royston did get within the home defensive third a lack of quality and thought erased any opportunities of creating chances.

Lockett had one half chance with a 20-yard effort that was well held by the ‘keeper before Lewis Endacott had the best opportunity of the half when he blazed over the crossbar from just inside the area after being set up by Jack Bradshaw.

A few tactical changes and choice half time words saw the Crows look a completely different outfit in the second period. Pressing the ball and passing it quicker saw them take control of the game and they hit Biggleswade for three quick goals within the first eight minutes of the half.

All of the goals were created from Royston’s right-hand side where Biggleswade were leaving themselves outnumbered and outfought. Endacott, Bradshaw and Ricky Young were linking up well in that channel and on 47 minutes some stunning play from Young in the area saw him beat two players and cross for Lamacraft who headed home at the far post.

The lead was doubled two minutes later after some immense quality in passing and movement lead to a Lockett free kick finding Edwards, only for the midfielder to be pushed in the box. Lockett stepped up to send the ‘keeper the wrong way from 12 yards.

The blitz continued on 53 minutes when a Lockett corner was headed goalwards by centre-half John McGrandles and deflected into the net by full-back Grinham.

Biggleswade were getting overrun and a fourth goal was scored midway through the half when Endacott beat the offside trap on the right before squaring to Edwards who had the simple task of rolling the ball into the net from 10 yards. It was left to Lockett to complete the scoring with 15 minutes remaining when he headed in Enadcott’s excellent cross at the far post. Ricky Young and Ross Collins were both fractionally off target with efforts to extend the lead but the second half performance will give Royston plenty of confidence going into Saturday’s crucial game at Chalfont St Peter with a sixth clean sheet in seven games to build on.

Royston Town: Howard, Bradshaw, Apostolos, McGrandles, Grinham, Lamacraft, (Collins), Edwards, Endacott, Young, Lockett, Lawrence, (Standen).