Elsenham leave it late to beat Sawbridgeworth
Sawbridgeworth 2 Elsenham Youth 4 Under-16 Division Two TWO late goals were enough for Elsenham to claim a third straight league win against a spirited Sawbridgworth side who, for long periods, made life very difficult for the league leaders. The visitors
Sawbridgeworth 2 Elsenham Youth 4
Under-16 Division Two
TWO late goals were enough for Elsenham to claim a third straight league win against a spirited Sawbridgworth side who, for long periods, made life very difficult for the league leaders.
The visitors got an early warning when 'keeper Jon Booth was beaten, only for Jack Gumble to volley the ball away from under his own bar.
You may also want to watch:
However, Elsenham soon stamped their authority on the game and were unlucky when Dean Clayden's shot was brilliantly saved by the opposition 'keeper.
With the visitors now finding their stride, it was no surprise that they also found the net - Mason Duckett's low drive beating the 'keeper at his near post.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 4 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge
The setback seemed to spur Sawbridgeworth into action and they were soon enjoying a much better spell.
Midway through the half, Elsenham's defence failed to clear the danger and were punished by a strong finish that gave Booth no chance.
The second half didn't start much better for the away team and they were extremely lucky not to go behind when some more poor decision making left the Sawbridgeworth striker with only Booth to beat, however his miscued shot rolled against the post and back to the 'keeper.
The game was crying out for a little bit of quality and finally Elsenham produced what they are capable of. A sweet interchange of passes set up Clayden 18 yards out, and he converted superbly to put the visitors back in front.
Sawbridgeworth wouldn't go away though and less then 10 minutes later had again pulled themselves level.
A long throw into the box was headed straight into the net and the goal stood despite the protests of the Elsenham players that they were being held down.
The game now really was in the balance and could have gone either way. Sawbridgeworth were working tirelessly and Clayden was fortunate to avoid punishment when he scythed down an opponent. The striker made the most of his reprieve 10 minutes from time when he latched onto a loose ball in front of the Sawbridgeworth goal and hammered it home to restore Elsenham's lead.
The lead was almost extended minutes later when Sam Irish's long range effort hit the top of the bar.
With the clock ticking down, the away team won a corner and despite not pushing many men forward, Tony Hogg arrived at the back post to thump his header past the 'keeper and ensure the points for Elsenham.