Eight-goal Vets in top form
Cambridge Vets 5 Royston Town Vets 8 ROYSTON Town Vets were in great form as they overran Cambridge Vets 8-5 at Great Wilbraham on Sunday. Former Town favourite Chris Tovey played his first game for the Vets and he gave an outstanding performance in t
Cambridge Vets 5
Royston Town Vets 8
ROYSTON Town Vets were in great form as they overran Cambridge Vets 8-5 at Great Wilbraham on Sunday.
Former Town favourite Chris Tovey played his first game for the Vets and he gave an outstanding performance in the centre of midfield.
You may also want to watch:
In attack, Paul Lewis and Daryl Quinn were both in sharp form with a hat-trick each and they were ably supported by target man Peter Leete.
Town took the lead after five minutes when Tovey slotted the ball through to Leete, who crashed a fierce left-foot volley into the net.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
Two minutes later Quinn prodded in a second following a goalmouth scramble before Lewis calmly slotted home a third with a well-taken penalty.
Town had two more before half time with Lewis and Quinn notching their second goals of the game.
On a rare attack by Cambridge Trevor George was thwarted by a fine save from Merv Chaffey.
Town extended their lead when Lewis volleyed home his third following some good approach play from Kevin Barthrop.
Leete then set up Quinn with a delightful overhead flick and the little winger fired past the advancing keeper to notch his hat-trick.
The hosts then got on the score-sheet for the first time when Nick Harland headed in from a corner.
A good tip over the bar from substitute keeper Colin McArthur prevented Cambridge from reducing the arrears but almost immediately Lewis slotted home his fourth and the Crows' eighth goal.
Town began to relax and as a result allowed Cambridge back in the game with a late four-goal flurry with Trevor George and Graham Daniels among the scorers.
Royston defender Ian Allen said: "Despite the late comeback by Cambridge this was undoubtedly Town's best footballing display of the season."
Royston Town Vets: Chaffey; Stubbs, Bowers, Flack, Allen; Holden, Tovey, Barthrop; Quinn, Leete, Lewis; (Subs): McArthur, King.
- On Sunday Royston Town Vets entertain Ashwell at Garden Walk, 10.30am.