Effort wasted at Luton
Luton Town Ladies II 3 Royston Ladies II 2 ROYSTON let their valiant efforts go to waste this weekend when they travelled to Luton. The hosts put Royston under pressure from the start and played some very neat hockey, to which the visitors were rapidly fo
Luton Town Ladies II 3 Royston Ladies II 2
ROYSTON let their valiant efforts go to waste this weekend when they travelled to Luton.
The hosts put Royston under pressure from the start and played some very neat hockey, to which the visitors were rapidly forced to adapt. Taking this into their stride, the visiting team were also careful to ensure that they accounted for the rain-soaked pitch, which was affecting the movement of the ball and therefore catching out the Royston players.
Given this, the teams were fairly evenly matched until Royston were awarded a penalty corner which was decisively slammed home by Lucy Davidson to put them 1-0 up.
You may also want to watch:
Luton tried to equalise after this but were kept at bay by Royston's tight defending and the good work of stand-in 'keeper Martine Powley.
Royston's second came from Davidson's run onto goal from open play in which she drew the keeper and slipped the ball just inside the post.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 9 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
Just before half time, Luton managed to slip a goal back when their centre forward lifted the ball just out of Powley's reach.
Despite trying to keep their grip on the game, the victory was not to fall to Royston this week as the home side took advantage of their numerous short corners in the second half, converting two of them into goals to give them a 3-2 win.