Edwards wins Junior Open at Royston
JOHN Edwards of Gog Magog Golf Club won the Junior Open Championship at Royston Golf Club. The under-18 scratch competition, which celebrated its 40th anniversary, again boasted a talented field, with Cambridge golfer Edwards winning after an exciting fo
JOHN Edwards of Gog Magog Golf Club won the Junior Open Championship at Royston Golf Club.
The under-18 scratch competition, which celebrated its 40th anniversary, again boasted a talented field, with Cambridge golfer Edwards winning after an exciting four-hole playoff with Harry Mills (Haverhill) and Mark Bloxham (The Links).
Having tied on 71 gross, Edwards won the playoff with a score of two under par for the additional holes.
Among the Royston golfers, Tom Trimble came close with 72, while James Smith also impressed with 73.
You may also want to watch:
Michael Clapham finsihed on 76, with Lauren Hunt on 77.
The championship is one of the longest-running junior competitions, and has become a showcase for talented young golfers.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
In 1975, the championship was won by a young Nick Faldo.
Royston Golf Club's seniors have also been in action, and saw off their rivals from Barkway with a comprehensive 5-1 win.
The club's Family Foursomes was won by Wayne and Lauren Hunt with 36 points.
David and Kath Caunce were runners-up with 33 points, ahead of David and Kathy Musgrave, who scored 31 points.
The monthly men's medal Division One was won by Stuart Phillips, while Charlie Winter claimed the Division Two medal.