Edwards wins Junior Open at Royston
JOHN Edwards of Gog Magog Golf Club won the Junior Open Championship at Royston Golf Club. The under-18 scratch competition, which celebrated its 40th anniversary, again boasted a talented field, with Cambridge golfer Edwards winning after an exciting fo
JOHN Edwards of Gog Magog Golf Club won the Junior Open Championship at Royston Golf Club.
The under-18 scratch competition, which celebrated its 40th anniversary, again boasted a talented field, with Cambridge golfer Edwards winning after an exciting four-hole playoff with Harry Mills (Haverhill) and Mark Bloxham (The Links).
Having tied on 71 gross, Edwards won the playoff with a score of two under par for the additional holes.
Among the Royston golfers, Tom Trimble came close with 72, while James Smith also impressed with 73.
Michael Clapham finsihed on 76, with Lauren Hunt on 77.
The championship is one of the longest-running junior competitions, and has become a showcase for talented young golfers.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
In 1975, the championship was won by a young Nick Faldo.
Royston Golf Club's seniors have also been in action, and saw off their rivals from Barkway with a comprehensive 5-1 win.
The club's Family Foursomes was won by Wayne and Lauren Hunt with 36 points.
David and Kath Caunce were runners-up with 33 points, ahead of David and Kathy Musgrave, who scored 31 points.
The monthly men's medal Division One was won by Stuart Phillips, while Charlie Winter claimed the Division Two medal.