Edwards puts Yellows on the road to glory
Bedwell Rangers 1 (J Nash) Letchworth GCE Yellows 4 (A Swinson 2, T Edwards, O Mannings) A THOMAS Edwards goal after just 31 seconds set Letchworth on the way to a comfortable victory in the Snow Cup. Bedwell had won both of the league games between the s
Bedwell Rangers 1
Letchworth GCE Yellows 4
(A Swinson 2, T Edwards, O Mannings)
You may also want to watch:
A THOMAS Edwards goal after just 31 seconds set Letchworth on the way to a comfortable victory in the Snow Cup.
Bedwell had won both of the league games between the sides, but after Edwards had headed home a long free-kick, Letchworth never looked back.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 3 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 4 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 10 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
They doubled the lead in the fifth minute when the impressive Alexander Swinson slotted home from 12 yards after Rangers had failed to clear the ball.
Within five minutes it was 3-0 when Oliver Manning hooked past David O'Brien in the Bedwell goal following a corner.
Jamie Morris and Adam Pennington both went close to cutting Yellows' lead, but the victory was effectively wrapped up in the 24th minute, when Swinson burst through the defence and held off a defender before slotting under the advancing O'Brien.
Whatever Rangers boss Graham Searle said at half-time - during which time he made three substitutions - had the desired effect, as they started the second half brightly.
However they did not manage to create any real chances until the 17th minute of the second half when a manic scramble in the Letchworth goalmouth saw the ball twice cleared off the line.
That pressure paid off when Nash headed home a corner in the 58th minute to give them hope.
Ben Pugh went close to further reducing the deficit when he knocked a corner just wide, but Letchworth recovered their composure, and with Mark Flint hitting the bar and having an effort disallowed they played out time to lift the first trophy of the day.
Bedwell: David O'Brien, Jack George, Christopher Jackson, Andrew Launay, Matthew Port, James Selby, Daniel Fletcher, Jonathon Nash, Robert Verdia, Ben Pugh, Matthew Woods, Joe Searle, Jamie Morriss, Mathew Jackson, Adam Pennington, Glen Begley.
Letchworth: Aaron Mullings, Jonathan Allen, Allan Gray, Jasdeep Sandhu, Harrison Hodgson, Joseph Swinson, Oliver Manning, Alexander Lennon, Joe Gormill, Thomas Edwards, Alexander Swinson, Dami Fajobi, Sean Huse, Mark Flint, Philip Waddell
- The Crow League finals conclude on Sunday with Bishop's Stortford meeting Herts Rangers in the under-11 final at 10.30am and Bedworth Blues playing Baldock Templars in the under-11s at 12.30pm.