Duo zip to National Over-55 success
DON Sheriff and Peter Adams knocked Royston clubmates Colin Wilson and Mike Randall out of the National Over-55 Competition. Sheriff and Adams dominated the game from start to finish to secure a comfortable 35-8 victory. A number of the club s bowlers w
DON Sheriff and Peter Adams knocked Royston clubmates Colin Wilson and Mike Randall out of the National Over-55 Competition.
Sheriff and Adams dominated the game from start to finish to secure a comfortable 35-8 victory.
A number of the club's bowlers were in action at the County Singles Day, with Terry Hollands first through to the second round, with a hard-fought 21-12 win against Roebuck's Kevin Lamacraft.
Simon Lee followed suit with an equally impressive 21-12 win, before Adams crashed out with a 21-7 defeat against Terry Graham of Whitethorn.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Coppen made light work of club mate Andy Keating with a 21-1 thrashing, while Stuart Brown had a closer encounter, against Baldock's John Crosby, notching a 21-20 victory.
Mick O'Flanagan saw off clubmate Wilson in an entertaining 21-14 win, with Keith Dockree slipping to a 21-19 defeat, as Laurie Ramsay eased past Barry Platten of Whitethorn with a 21-10 win.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
In the National Top Club competition Royston saw off Holwell BC with a narrow 3-2 victory.
Brian Pepper coasted to a 21-7 win over Bob Smith in the 2 wood singles, while Coppen was given a run for his money in his match with Paul Turner with Coppen edging to a 21-16 victory.
In the pairs, Lee and Brown lost by just three shots in an epic 22-19 defeat, with Hollands, Ramsay and O'Flanagan also suffering a defeat in the triples, going down 15-12.
However, Royston's fours team secured victory with an exciting 23-17 victory.
Royston Vets were also in action in a five rinks triple match, with skip Ron Colton leading his team of Eileen Sheriff and Marianne Collinge to a commanding 22-4 victory on rink 2. Royston eventually ran out 70-59 winners.
MELDRETH Bowls Club will be holding its annual fete on Saturday, at the clubhouse. The event will run from 2pm onwards, with fun and games on the green and a mixture of stalls.
There will also be bowling sessions for beginners.
For more details contact Barbara Clutterbuck on 01763 260592.
Buntingford 36 Sele Farm 31
(Buntingford names first) Rink One: M Lankester, J Branagan, M Smith 21; S Lacey, P Wright, M Edgar 11. Rink Two: G Cheesman, J Batsford, B Stone, D Geere 15' D Deville, M Langley, G Wareham, E Dunne 20.
Meldreth & District League
Comberton 70 (6pts) Meldreth 57 (1pt)
(Meldreth names first) Rink One: M Singleton, D Lambert, D Sheldrick 14; G Barker 20. Rink Two: D Peacock, K Pryke, D Brunsdon 16; R Griggs 20. Rink Three: S Lambert, G Burns, MJ Chapman 14; D Griggs 11. Rink Four: D Chapman, D Parker, A Genockey 13; C Ranger 19.