Duo set up Creake Shield win
Newmarket Town A 0 Melbourn 6 TWO goals apiece for Thomas Barton and Jason Gray helped Melbourn crush a limp Newmarket team in this Creake Shield clash. Both teams had gone into the cup game undefeated – Melbourn in Division 2A, Newmarket in 2B – but it t
Newmarket Town A 0 Melbourn 6
TWO goals apiece for Thomas Barton and Jason Gray helped Melbourn crush a limp Newmarket team in this Creake Shield clash.
Both teams had gone into the cup game undefeated - Melbourn in Division 2A, Newmarket in 2B - but it took only 15 minutes for the away team to take the lead.
A well-judged pass from Andrew Morris found Barton, who raced away from the Newmarket defence to put the ball past the keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Ten minutes later Newmarket failed to deal with Melbourn's superior aerial strength from a corner, and Barton dispatched his second calmly and decisively.
Newmarket's problems in the air were again laid bare on the half-hour mark when Kris Watters headed the ball across goal to Andrew Gray who put away Melbourn's third.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
Five minutes into the second half Melbourn increased their lead after a neat breakaway was finished off by Jason Gray in the top corner.
A fifth goal looked inevitable when Andy Richardson broke down the left wing and his cross into the box was poorly cleared to the advancing Morris, whose blistering volley from eight yards almost burst the net.
Five became six when Jason Gray prodded the ball home following a corner.