Duo set for nationals challenge
TWO Bassingbourn Village College pupils will take on the best swimmers in England in the National Championships. After producing some sparkling displays in the county and regional championships, 13-year-old Alex Raine will compete in the individual 400m f
TWO Bassingbourn Village College pupils will take on the best swimmers in England in the National Championships.
After producing some sparkling displays in the county and regional championships, 13-year-old Alex Raine will compete in the individual 400m freestyle, the 1,500m freestyle, and in the 800m relay.
Fellow Bassingbourn student and Biggleswade Swimming Club teammate Ellie Mason, also 13, will compete in the 400m freestyle and 400m medley relay.
The championships take place in Sheffield on Monday, July 23.
Alex said: "The competition will be very high, but I'm confident I can do well."
Ellie said: "I'm really looking forward to getting in the water. I'm sure it will be a good competition and I'm just going to do my best."
- 1 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 4 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 5 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 6 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 7 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 8 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 9 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 10 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
She was joined by another Bassingbourn Village College student, 12-year-old Millie Farmer at the Cambridgeshire Secondary Schools Championships in St Ives last week.
Ellie was ranked fourth in the 100m butterfly, fifth in the 100m backstroke and seventh in the 100m freestyle.
Millie, who like the other two is also part of the Mid Beds team, was fourth in the 100m backstroke, and 10th in the 100m freestyle.